Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
The pictures are showing up reallllly tiny for me, like an inch by an inch. Can you make them a lot bigger?

Girl: yellow lab x shepherd; I'd guess white shepherd because she ended up blonde (normally if you bred a yellow lab to a shepherd they'd end up dark)

Boy: need bigger pics. He's a chocolate something, which means chocolate in the parentage. I need to see him bigger, but if you bred a lab (either chocolate or chocolate-carrying) to a german shorthaired pointer, you'd get a puppy who looked like he does. I'd definitely say either Lab x or pointer x based on his teeny pictures, but I reserve the right to totally change my mind when I see big pics.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My girl is actually pure white, except a little peach hint on her ears. I'm going to try something else with the pics to make them bigger...I'm on it...

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know why it keeps posting the same link when I'm pasting new ones...you can just scroll through the album to see the other pics.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Your girl has some husky in her, either that or some other spitz type breed, perhaps husky x shep.

The boy, I say pointer cross probably with a lab. That chocolate colour could be comeing straight from teh pointer lines though--chocolate pointers are actually pretty common in Canada anyway.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
The big girl has something drop-eared in her. I can see the spitzyness in the bigger pictures but she's got to have a drop-eared parent. Maybe lab x shepherd/spitz?

The boy I still say lab x pointer or pointer x something else chocolate. Not pure pointer; his hair is too long.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Mmmm, I don't know, I have a purebred GSD in for boarding right now that had those exact ears (he's from a crappy kennel....that does really well in the rings....but I see a lot of weak ears coming from there)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
Mmmm, I don't know, I have a purebred GSD in for boarding right now that had those exact ears (he's from a crappy kennel....that does really well in the rings....but I see a lot of weak ears coming from there)
Yeah, I've seen 'em. There are several specialing GSDs that can't keep their ears up to save their lives; the tips are flipping around all over the place the whole time they're gaiting.

HOWEVER--add a primitive or arctic breed in and I still say those ears go up. The arctic breeds are the only group that doesn't ever need taping as babies; they have exceptional leather. So even a weak-eared GSD would produce erect ears if bred to a spitz.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad the pics are working. Should I not say yet what they are? I actually do know what my girl is and met both of her parents. My boy I only know what they told me his mother is.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK...let me just say you guys are good!

My girl. I just got her from a woman who let her dog have babies.
: I just thought, they need homes, I have been wanting a dog. My dog owner IQ was very low back then.
:
:

Her mom was a Arctic Wolf Hybrid.
: (the lady just said "the mother is a wolf" and I had no idea there was such a thing as wolf hybrids). Which I am told contained White Shepherd. Her dad was 1/2 Samoyed, 1/4 lab, 1/8 chow & 1/8 beagle...though I believe they're mistaking that for whippet. She is FAST. And built VERY slender. She has amazing eyesight. The only thing wolfish about her is her long, skinny legs which look just like her mother's. Her siblings looked and acted much more Husky-ish. They had bushier, blonder fur and more sticky-up ears. They were also bigger. She's only 40 #. It's funny though, when we first got the pup and he cried for the first time ever, she was laying down and her ears STOOD UP! All the way. We laughed for like an hour. They are rather floppy.

Little guy we adopted at the SPCA. The lady told us they brought in his mother and she was a lab. We did see a black lab female who had recently had pups at another shelter which was likely his mom.
They said maybe Border Collie but I just don't see it.
I swear up and down that he has pointer too! He has such a strong sense of smell and he's very smart. He's extremely vocal too though (to the point where it's a contant issue
). I asked 2 vets though and they said they don't really see any pointer.
One vet said he's not "leggy" enough. But then labs are not leggy at all. I do think he could have some pitt in him. He's very muscular (of course pointers are too) and he's low to the ground. He seems to have that pitt grin a little too. Another thing though, where we got him they had some other puppies w/an apparent pointer father. Then they picked up a chocolate pointer in that very same area about a month ago. I should've called in to see if he was fixed. Highly suspicious if you ask me.

So, you two don't see any pitt? A lot of people in passing think he's purebred pitt.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Def not pure bred pit bull... Dont think he has any behind him either, the head and ear set and size isnt quite right. Anything is possible though and when they are little it can be hard to tell in the mix breeds. I think he is Lab X Pointer and both your dogs are very very cute

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awww, thanks.
I think so too.

Another reason I think he's got to have pointer is that his ears are so floppy they are *usually* inside out, laying on the top of his head! It looks so funny. He just can't keep them in one place.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll post more pics of him in a couple of months too.

ETA: Oops, I was responding to APBTluv. Sharlla, thanks! It is good to have my suspicions confirmed. I was starting to feel crazy w/the vets acting like I was pulling out pointer so randomly.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I haven't got much to add - I totally agree with all the other guesses. WHite sheperd/lab would have been my guess on your girlie, since my brothers dog looks very similar and thats what our guess is for her. I also agree with the pointer/lab mis - his face is SO lab-ish to me. They are gorgeous puppies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts