Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew...it's been a rough number of months for me. Dropped 10 pounds, too. So stressed that I couldn't eat properly or enough. We finally moved. Downsized and to a different neighborhood in town.

While there were many reasons for the move for all of us in the family, my main one was to get out of our cul-de-sac. I would not like to live on a cul-de-sac ever again if I can help it. Initially like many, I thought it would be a safe and quiet place to start a family. Little did I know that it would become a cliquey and mean place to live. Private? -- Absolutely not. Quiet? Nope.

The last 5 years living there have been a form of torture for me. I cannot believe DH finally agreed to get serious and move. As they say, unhappy wife, unhappy life. I feel as if I have been dead for the last few years. Lifeless. Depressed. Years that I can never recover from my life.

When our offer was accepted on our new house, the tears began. Tears of happiness and sadness. Happiness for a clean slate and relief for finally knowing that I would be free from the hell I had been enduring. Sadness for the good memories I would be leaving behind...

I cried a lot since then -- raging tears like I have never cried before. The stress of moving during the school year was unbelievable and I hope never to do it again until my kids are out on their own.

Our old home hopefully will be off our hands in March. Finally a buyer stepped up and I hope they have a better time in that home on that street than I did.

I don't understand why other neighbor Moms have to be so mean to each other the way mine were and the negative impact it has.

Our new home is situated on a corner. There is more activity surrounding us as we are obviously on a busier street -- but, it is private in an anonymous way. People just go about doing their thing -- diverse, elegant, eclectic and tolerant.

I got my wish to live in a tight knit neighborhood where neighbors look out for each other. It feels so good.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Wow! I am happy that the move has been good for you. Bullies and cliques aren't fun in middle school and they aren't fun in the "real world" either. Blessings!

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Oh good for you for gathering the strength to leave a toxic situation! It's amazing how much the environment around us can affect mental health and well being. Toxic people are like a virus that infect others around them. Wishing you all the best in your new start!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the kind words. I still waver back and forth between being happy and sad. What bothers me the most is how women can be so mean to each other -- particularly during the child rearing years. It's just so unnecessary. There is such a blatant disrespect for each other due to many reasons -- when we would be better off and happier if we could set aside differences and just get along. But no. On some level I expect clashes within the school environment or whatever among parents but not in the neighborhood where we live.

In the very least, I gained a teaching experience for my kids. They know to avoid people like that. A good lesson in boundaries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts