Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people here are generally opposed to "special treatment" for being pregnant (i.e. special parking spots) because it is like treating it like an illness or disability; but for me, who basically nobody has even been able to tell that I am pregnant up until the past week or so, it was nice that somebody finally noticed!

This morning at my exam the invigilator (I do correspondence, so I have to go to the local community college for my exams) was explaining how much time I had (3 hrs.), etc., and the baby kicked me (or headbutted, I don't know wher his/her feet are, really) really hard in the bladder and under my breath I was like, "Ouch.." and she turned around and was like, "Oh is somebody kicking you? Just wait til the music starts!" (It was a music history exam.) And then she was like, "If you need a break for anything, if you need to go to the washroom, just let me know and I'll stop the clock..." which I don't think they're supposed to do, last time (when I was pregnant, but did not look it) she didn't stop the clock for me when I went to the washroom at all and I had to use up exam time.

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to share because I'm kind of happy that to finally be given a bit of lee-way, which, really, I think we sort of need sometimes. (I mean, if we have to pee, we have to pee!)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am personally completely in favor of special treatment for pregnant women- we are in fact carrying the next generation in our bellies

Hope you get lots and lots of nurturing from here on out Mama!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
That is really nice she did that for you. So how did the test go?
I wish I had some special treatment today. I had to take my oldest to register for classes at the community college today. We ended up only finding parking in the farthest lot. It took forever to walk (I am walker too what happen)? I kept on having to stop for contractions and oldest has a stomach bug so he was please hurry I feel like I am going to puke.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
Hope you get lots and lots of nurturing from here on out Mama!
Heheh! Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
That is really nice she did that for you. So how did the test go?
I wish I had some special treatment today. I had to take my oldest to register for classes at the community college today. We ended up only finding parking in the farthest lot. It took forever to walk (I am walker too what happen)? I kept on having to stop for contractions and oldest has a stomach bug so he was please hurry I feel like I am going to puke.
I hear you on the walking! It's a beautiful day out today so I was looking forward to our weekly grocery trip, not realizing how enormous and cumbersome I am now! The test went OK, thanks for asking, I studied really, really hard for it so I hope my mark reflects that. What is your son studying?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I like special treatment, not because I am incapable, but because I am doing something special and deserve to have it acknowledged!
Today I had a client of dh's and the women at the library I take our son to tell me how great I look pg and it was such a treat to be complimented instead of comments on size and such. In NYC special treatment is fairly common, like getting seats on the train and buses and such. That said, yesterday a woman at a local cafe literally pushed me off the stairs with her body ( I was going in, opened the door, and she charged out, knocking me off the stair and into two other women behind me). I twisted my left knee and my right ankle in the process and she did not even apologize! If I was not injured ans shocked, I might have punched her

Anyhow, good deal on the special treatment. I amc ertianly hoping for some when I defend my dissertation at 36 weeks!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I think pregnant women deserve special treatment (at least consideration)

I like to point out to my dh all the time, that I happen to be carrying his son and that he better be nice to me,

even though I'm quite pregnant no one ever says anything to me when I'm out or seems to notice which I find odd

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
What is your son studying?

He is studying high school. He was not doing well or was happy in a traditional high school. Okay I am not sure if its traditional or not there is something like 4,000 kids there in 4 grades. Anyway, he is now doing this program at the community college. He will get his high school diploma plus and associates degree.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I like special treatment, not because I am incapable, but because I am doing something special and deserve to have it acknowledged!
Today I had a client of dh's and the women at the library I take our son to tell me how great I look pg and it was such a treat to be complimented instead of comments on size and such. In NYC special treatment is fairly common, like getting seats on the train and buses and such. That said, yesterday a woman at a local cafe literally pushed me off the stairs with her body ( I was going in, opened the door, and she charged out, knocking me off the stair and into two other women behind me). I twisted my left knee and my right ankle in the process and she did not even apologize! If I was not injured ans shocked, I might have punched her

Anyhow, good deal on the special treatment. I amc ertianly hoping for some when I defend my dissertation at 36 weeks!

Oh my gosh on that woman. Its incredible how many rude people are out there...at least in my experience there are just as many nice people.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Oh my gosh on that woman. Its incredible how many rude people are out there...at least in my experience there are just as many nice people.
yes, the general kindness of people always reminds me not to be too offended when I encounter someone like this. I like to remember that she may have had something awful going on, causing her to be so thoughtless, or, alternatively, that karma takes care of us all

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:

In NYC special treatment is fairly common, like getting seats on the train and buses and such.
Wow... that's much better than Boston, and I wouldn't have guessed. I work from home now, but when I was pg with DS, I was commuting into Boston every day on public transportation (commuter train and subway) and most men (especially men, some women) would bury their heads on a crowded train and either be oblivious or ignore the gigantic pregnant woman was standing in front of them. Women were *much* more likely to give up seats. I actually had a woman berate an entire train car full of passengers for not giving me a seat, once, because I was 8.5 months pg, out of breath from running to catch said train, and nobody offered me a seat. (I usually refused anyhow, since it was the only exercise I got... but I really did like the offers!).

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Honestly, white men rarely ever give up seats for anyone, and white women are second to them. In NYC it is the men of color primarily (and to a lesser extent the women of color, especially older women) who give up their seats quickly for pregnant women and people with babies. Since buses here serve people of color much more that white people (and I live in a neighborhood where I am in the minority as a white person), I get seats with regualrity now.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:

Honestly, white men rarely ever give up seats for anyone, and white women are second to them. In NYC it is the men of color primarily (and to a lesser extent the women of color, especially older women) who give up their seats quickly for pregnant women and people with babies. Since buses here serve people of color much more that white people (and I live in a neighborhood where I am in the minority as a white person), I get seats with regualrity now.
OK... that sounds more like my experience. It was just that my commute was populated with mostly white men.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Same in both the cities I've lived in, Vancouver, BC & Hamilton, ON. I can never figure it out. While on one hand I'm always wary about making sweeping statements about "usually white folks... and usually non-white folks..." But it's hard to not notice things like that in your daily life, and wonder what the deal is..? Except here in Van, a good chunk of the people riding the buses are elderly [Chinese] folks so I wouldn't take their seat, anyhow.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
Same in both the cities I've lived in, Vancouver, BC & Hamilton, ON. I can never figure it out. While on one hand I'm always wary about making sweeping statements about "usually white folks... and usually non-white folks..." But it's hard to not notice things like that in your daily life, and wonder what the deal is..? Except here in Van, a good chunk of the people riding the buses are elderly [Chinese] folks so I wouldn't take their seat, anyhow.
Yes, I should have qualified that that was IME and not necessarily always true, but for me, it has been. I find that young black and latino men are the most respectful people I encounter and I like to give the credit to their mothers

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I live in a predominantly white city in Germany and have to say that I can count the special treatment I've had in 2 pregnancies on 1 finger. Mostly people bump into me without saying anything, and twice I've had men walk or ride past me and call me pig, or fat sow while 30+ weeks pregnant...but I've already vented about that in another thread
Love the respect for pregnant ladies in this modern western society.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg_s View Post
I live in a predominantly white city in Germany and have to say that I can count the special treatment I've had in 2 pregnancies on 1 finger. Mostly people bump into me without saying anything, and twice I've had men walk or ride past me and call me pig, or fat sow while 30+ weeks pregnant...but I've already vented about that in another thread
Love the respect for pregnant ladies in this modern western society.

People just don't know what kind of can of worms a coment like that could open from a oversized hormonal woman... I've been known to fly off the handle publicly when 30+ weeks pregnant for people's bad social behavior toward me, no regrets. (And that isn't usually me at all
: )

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I should have qualified that that was IME and not necessarily always true, but for me, it has been. I find that young black and latino men are the most respectful people I encounter and I like to give the credit to their mothers

I'm white and live in a black neighborhood and ride buses, and that's been my experience as well.

I actually stopped at a Family Dollar for milk and bread on the way home from work yesterday (I had the car yesterday) and the young black man at the register must have called me ma'am forty times during the transaction.

Conversely, I used to teach in an upper-middle-class suburban high school and my classrooms full of rich white boys were downright rude to me on a regular basis.

Not saying there aren't rude black boys or polite white boys. Just agreeing that this has been my experience across the board as well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.