Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>On Thanksgiving, my rather loud, rambunctious Irish family has a tradition of going around and around the table naming things that we are thankful for. The kids all keep track of how many times each person is mentioned and after the first round it becomes a competition and just tends to get silly. Lots of yelling and cheering. So after a couple of rounds, DF said a couple of things and then slipped in that he was grateful for our ever-expanding family. My mom said, "Oh no, another stray dog?" and everyone laughed (I have a weakness for stray dogs and sometimes it gets the better of me :p) When they realized he was talking about a baby, everyone was so happy. DF and I and my mom got tearful, my SIS threw her arms around us, and the kids started the gender-competition because our family only has one boy so far and he really wants a boy cousin. No one could stop putting in their 2 cents about pregnancy and birth, especially since they know I have some very firm ideas about how I want things done. 3.5yo DD2 just said, "I don't think this baby is going to like this stuffing very much" and let a forkful plop onto her plate in a glop.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My brother was the only one who knew before that. If we would have thought of it sooner, we would have had him break the news by being thankful that we were having another baby, just to make it a little funnier. :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It was a very positive, loud, funny, emotional letting the cat out of the bag. I loved reading some other stories about how people broke the news so I thought I'd share. :)</p>

·
Registered
817 Posts
<p>What a great story!  It sounds like you have a really fun and loving family!</p>

·
Registered
374 Posts
<p>Awesome! Can't get a better reaction than that :)</p>

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
<p>Awesome!</p>

·
Registered
717 Posts
<p>That's great!  We told our family at Thanksgiving too, or actually, a few days before, because I couldn't stand the idea of being with them all week and only letting them know on Thursday.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My grandma's reaction was my favorite with, "Just so you know, my middle name is Helen".  (We had named our first DD after her!)  She has such a great sense of humor.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm so glad you have such a warm, vivacious family!  I know it has to have it's downsides, but that is a definite warm feeling. :)  I love watching the characters interact in the movie "Return to Me".</p>

·
Registered
10 Posts
<p>I laughed so loud when I read your post...we told our family at Thanksgiving and my husband slipped it into grace.  He said we our thankful for our new addition in June.  We are really active in a local pit bull rescue (we have two of our own and frequently foster)...my mom said, "Oh, you guys are getting another dog?"  My step-dad leaned in and said, "Jane, I think they are trying to tell you they are having a baby!" </p>

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>Kelley55, that's so funny, it sounds just like my story! I also foster pitbulls and have one of my own--the best dog I've ever had or met! She was a wonderful doula at my last birth. :)</p>

Reactions: Kelley55
1 - 7 of 7 Posts