Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my job.

I am due 9/23 (or thereabouts).

I have already consulted with my attorney, and unfortunately, its very difficult to prove dismissal based on pregnancy.

Now, in this lousy job market, I not only am competing with many candidates, but I won't be able to hide this pregnancy for much longer, meaning I am unlikely to find a job.

Any advice?

FYI...my field is in non-profits, and there is a lot of competition for the few jobs available in that sector.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hmm, the market is so hard right now. I would jsut look for a temp job. I personally would not hire a pregnant lady for a position I needed someone full time for. Can you at least threaten your old work with talk of a lawsuit? Sometimes that is all you need...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would maybe ask your attorney to send a threatening letter - even if you have no intention of following through.....WHY did they really let you go? Was it a mass lay off?

I would definitely go to the temp place.... I have always found something virtually permanent through them, (even if it's not what you're looking for). The other option is to start working on your resume and take the unemployment (if you can afford to) between now and after the baby comes. Right now, they're giving a good 6 months - and then another 3 months minimum, most of the time. That would at least buy you a maternity leave, yk? Then you can start job hunting around the first of the year? Maybe the market will be better by then too?

sucks. sorry - stress like that SUCKS! (I'm out of work starting 5/1 too....but it's theoretically just until 7/15th, and we're getting a big refund so we're just going to dip into it every paycheck to try to not be broke!) There's no unemployment when you're self-employed!

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
If you need to find another job before the baby arrives, then do your best to play down the size of your tummy... it really depends on how you carry it, but rather than wearing maternity clothes, which tend to highlight the size of your stomach, wear a larger size, which will just make you look larger. Unless it's someone who knows you, they're not liable to automatically assume you're pg.

Best of luck... I got laid off in November and even with the temp agencies I haven't been able to find anything.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Also - remember they can't LEGALLY even ask you if you're pregnant - so don't divulge anything

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
Also - remember they can't LEGALLY even ask you if you're pregnant - so don't divulge anything

this.

I was offered a contract last weekend and I didn't tell them anything about pg until I had the contract in my hot little hands.

I got burned badly by a potential employer when I was pg with dd, so I definitely understand some of the stressors.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the support mamas.

DH and I have been doing "fashion shows" of my clothes that manage to just make me look fat instead of pregnant - we're saying "I could wear this to an interview and not look pregnant"

I know I can also wear jackets & vests which help conceal the bump.

Now here;s getting ahead of myself (haven;t had any interviews yet, its such a lousy market!)...if I do get hired, when do I tell them? best case scenario, I get hired this month, but the likelihood of finding something so soon is very slim. What if I am in my 7th or later? Isn't it kind of last minute?

The other hard part of the adjustment is that I was prepared to take 3 months maternity leave, pump at work, find a good nanny, etc. But now if I do actually find a job, I'll likely have to go back much sooner, which I cannot fathom doing. And if I don't find a job before the baby is born, I'll be looking again once the baby is just a few weeks old.

I guess I am getting ahead of myself, pre-worrying. But the market is soooo lousy.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I can relate to you! We can just *get by* on one income, but it would relieve so much pressure if I could go back..but when you start weighing it all out (pros and cons), I wonder is it really worth it. I just wanted to say I feel your predicament!

And to wish you luck!
:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am one who is also looking for work at this time. I find it hard to decide whether or not to tell as they can't ask legally if you are PG. But...by not telling do you think that you could be setting yourself up for dismissal at a later date by not being upfront with them in the first place? In NC, we aren't obligated to tell but we can be fired at the companies discretion for anything (else). It could be that you spelled something wrong. Or that they say they didn't get that all important fax that you know you gave to Mr. or Mrs. so and so. How would you feel if someone didn't tell you what might be pertinant info? I don't really know what to do just thought I would offer a different perspective.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just got a new job, and I did not tell my boss when I was interviewing. I waited 2-3 weeks and then told him. He was very supportive at that point. I spoke with several human resource people and they all agreed -- don't bring it up. It is not relevant to your skills/experience (which is the purpose of an interview). Also, if you were a man with colon cancer, you wouldn't bring that up in an interview even though you could potentially miss a lot of work from it.

Also, another piece of advice I found helpful. When I approached my boss I phrased everything very positively. Like "I have some exciting news to share with you" and "My husband and I are so happy to be having this child." I also made it a point to mention I had a plan for work reentry and child care (not strictly nec. but I thought it was a good idea to at least broach that). I think it's harder for someone to be negative if you approach it as a very positive thing and you have an action plan.

Just my two cents. Best of luck in the job hunt!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just want to say that it worked to my benefit to tell the non-profit that just hired me this week to tell them even before the interview that I was pregnant. For me I thought it would shoot my chances down, but I reallly had no choice in the matter as the boss was also going on maternity leave at the same time, and 2 people out at the same time I figured really axed my chances. Ethically I felt I had no choice.

I think it showed that I am trustworthy and honest, and it showed me what kind of agency it will be to work for. They also told me I had to use all my sick and personal time when I take maternity leave but that I can take 3 mo. unpaid.

Really it all worked out. I couldn't be happier.
Jut thought I would share a bright spot.

Liz

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Ds workd for a non-profit one that specializes in disabilities. Although they are not hiring full time they are always looking for part time people to replace full time people. Pm if you need info or the name of the Co. As I do not know what area of the non-profit world you are in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.