Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am bored and unhappy at my current job, but I'm reluctant to quit because health insurance for my family is almost completely covered, it pays quite well, and the schedule is great (three days a week). Also, I don't have anything positive I'm moving towards; I would just be quitting to try to get away from this job. I'm not interested in staying at home full-time, even if we could afford it, but I do feel like I need to find something that's more challenging and engaging.

Have any of you been in a similar situation and found the courage to leave? Or did you decide that it was good enough for the time being? I'd like to hear your story.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I was bored and unhappy at the job that I had when I found out I was pregnant with DS. Actually being pregnant was a huge complicating factor in my decision to leave because of health insurance, maternity leave, finding a midwife, etc. It got so bad at my old job I even started applying for jobs and interviewing in my third trimester. As it turns out I had to turn down a job I was offered because I just couldn't make it work financially- so I wound up going back to that awful job after my maternity leave. Each day was like a punishment there- I had to work or there would be no support for my family (and we had used up a lot of our reserves while I was out on maternity leave) but I hated being there so much and I had such a sweet little boy at home missing me. Lucky for me the job I turned down called me back a couple months later to see if I had changed my mind. I gave my notice and I was gone- and I haven't looked back either. Taking the job involved a 90 mile move, which we orchestrated in less than a month during the holidays no less! It was the best decision I ever made. My job is much more satisfying now, which makes me happier and nicer to be around for my family. It wasn't until I was out of that horrible job that I realized how stressful that was for me and how much that stress affected my family.

I'll tell you what a colleague told me- figure out both what you don't like about your current situation and what you want from the new job. These should be two distinct lists. If you only take a job to get away from your current position, more than likely you will end up in the same situation in a couple years. If you know what else you want, you are more likely to move into something better. It won't hurt to look and see what is out there and it doesn't hurt to go on an interview. Use the interview as your chance to figure out how well the new job fits in with the criteria you determined above. If the job doesn't meet your needs don't take it- wait for the right thing to come along.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.