I have a LOT of old candles that I don't want to burn due to the toxicity (I only use beeswax or soy now - I am pregnant and have a toddler so want safe indoor air quality). I guess they are parrafin wax. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find another use for them? I have white as well as a variety of colours. Thanks!
i was going to suggest fire starters as well... we take old cardboard egg cartons, fill with cedar shavings and drip wax (obtained by melting in a double boiler) on them.... not sure if this is something you want... perhaps you can donate them to a local scout group...
I use toilet paper rolls. Fill them with dryer lint and then pour the melted wax over them. I put the wax in a can and then melted it in a pan of water. DH will take them camping this summer to use in the campfire. That way they will be burning outside and not where the fumes would be trapped in.
That's a really good idea, thanks! I'm just going through the candles again, actually. Weeding out the ones I don't like, and trying to imagine giving the others away. They are pretty IKEA ones still in their boxes.
Originally Posted by Magelet
Melt them down, put a wick in a cup or pretty jar, pour the melted wax in, and you have a beautiful gift for someone who uses paraffin candles anyways.
I'm going through the same thing. Tons of paraffin candles that I've collected over the years, and now I'm afraid to burn them. Mostly, I have votive candles that were bought in bulk (so no pretty packaging).
Most of the gifts I give are basket gifts - a bunch of little things I've found at thrift stores or lying around the house (often with themes) arranged in a pretty basket. I figure a candle or two in each basket will work wonderfully. Eventually, I'll find homes for them all.
I do have several jar candles that are half-burned. I love the idea of melting them down and making new candles out of them. Those could be a gifts on their own!