Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh and I are expecting a little boy in May. I didn't get to pick my dd's pediatrician because of the insurance she had when she was born but I have a little bit more freedom this time around.<br><br>
I want to find out something about my pediatrician before I decide to use them. I am trying to find some sort of resource that will help me find an anti-circ pediatrician in particular, in my area. Does anyone know of anything like this? If not does anyone have suggestions on how to find a decent pediatrician?<br><br>
I live in southern Alabama, if anyone is from around here and has knowledge of a good pediatrician that would help a lot. I am going to cross-post this a few other places.<br><br>
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
552 Posts
Try the doctors opposing circumcision website (<a href="http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org" target="_blank">www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org</a>) - they can privately refer you I think.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
You'll have more luck with foreign-born doctors.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If you want to interview docs to try a decision, here's some advice from a favortie, well-known former poster here, posted with his permission:<br><br>
>>>>>><br><br>
I think you could narrow it down to 2 questions to evaluate a doctor on the spot:<br><br>
(1) What are your recommendations on neonatal circumcision of males?<br><br>
(2) How often do you see boys who need a circumcision?<br><br>
If the doctor says anything other than it is not a medical decision, not needed, not recommended, etc., the red flags should go up. If the doctor says he/she rarely, never, infrequently or seldom sees a boy who needs a circumcision, he/she is probably safe enough. It will still take an educated and alert parent to provide the final safety factor but those two questions will weed out the majority of those who might harm your child.<br><br>
The two main things to remember are (1) Absolutely never allow your son to be forcibly retracted and (2) all suspected infections should be cultured without exception. With those two things, your son will get the care he needs and will not be harmed. Of course there are exceptions for special circumstances like hypospadias but those are rare and should be addressed separately.<br><br>
>>>>>>><br><br>
Good luck! And congratulations on your new baby and keeping him intact!<br>
Gillian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts