Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who's finding out, who's not and who's on the fence like me? This is our fourth and we've always found out the baby's sex during our 20-week ultrasound. My ultrasound is scheduled for next week, but I'm not sure that I want to find out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So who's finding out, who's not and who's on the fence like me? This is our fourth and we've always found out the baby's sex during our 20-week ultrasound. My ultrasound is scheduled for next week, but I'm not sure that I want to find out?
We are on the fence! My ultrasound is tomorrow morning and I still have no decided what to do! My husband wants another surprise but I would like to find out. So I figure i will ask the ultrasound tech to write it down for us that way we won't be pressured to find out on the spot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We had NIFT, so could find out any time after 14 weeks, but we asked them to seal it in our file at the birth center until we felt the time was right to know. For various reasons, after about a month, we called...It was a very sweet and emotional moment to hear the news :) Since then, we've had our 20 week scan and they confirmed gender.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We are "team green." The surprise on delivery day is so much fun for us!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Not finding out. We never have before. It is the only surprise in life that I like (I'm a major planner that doesn't like surprises, otherwise!). I considered finding out this time just because of some emotional stuff I'm dealing with, but I know I'd regret finding out via ultrasound.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We are not finding out, and haven't for any of our pregnancies. We choose not to do any ultrasounds, and for us, avoiding those risks (both physical and emotional) are so worth it, so we don't really even have the option. (I know there's the new blood test, but we don't do that either).
I think it's such a wonderful element of pregnancy, truly connecting to your baby on the inside, not through an outside source. And connecting to them as a new person, as a baby, and not a sex. And it's just an amazing thing to discover when your baby is born.

It has the added benefit of preventing other people from gendering your baby too ;) I'm so happy to avoid the "boy" things and "girl" things that people want to give you when they know in advance.

And for me, just totally personally, with my first, I KNEW, I just KNEW the baby was a girl and I was so excited about that. I really wanted a girl. When baby was born with a penis, I was seriously so shocked because I just felt so confident - I've often thought that if I had found out in the pregnancy I would have had a hard time connecting with the baby and may have dealt with some disappointment. But there really is no way to feel those things when you are holding your brand new baby in your arms and washed in delicious birth hormones. Just a side thought!

·
Registered
124 Posts
We found out, I'm a planner, so I just have to know!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am having second thoughts about finding out. The ultrasound tech wrote it down and sealed it in an envelope for us and as soon as she gave it to us, I felt a bit of the magic of the surprise wear off. Like sneaking a peak of your Christmas present before Christmas morning. I feel like if I open it the excitement of finding out the gender won't be nearly as strong as finding out at birth. That being said, now my husband is pushing me to find out so that we can prepare our daughter because she really wants it to be a girl. So I figure we either risk feeling a little bit let down if we find out now but then we won't have to deal with DD's potential disappointment at birth if it is a boy. Personally, I think she will fine either way once she meets the baby, but my husband is more concerned.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
We found out last week at the 20 week ultrasound. I felt more comfortable knowing the sex (last time too) and now we are onto discussing baby names beyond the silly ones hubby likes to suggest (last baby was cinnamon roll until we decided on the name, this one is peaches for now :) We were lucky to get lots of hand me downs with our first baby, but not many gender neutral clothing items, so I felt like it would help with planning too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I found out at the anatomy scan.... I have to say I do regret it a little bit even though I don't know that I could have handled not knowing any longer. I think it marked the transition in my mind from having an "unknown magical creature" inside me to having an "almost a person." More real, which is exciting but slightly less other-worldy ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So for those who found out... What are you having??

·
Registered
86 Posts
I found out at the anatomy scan.... I have to say I do regret it a little bit even though I don't know that I could have handled not knowing any longer. I think it marked the transition in my mind from having an "unknown magical creature" inside me to having an "almost a person." More real, which is exciting but slightly less other-worldy ;)
Well put :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
So I had my ultrasound today. They didn't tell me (as I always request), but I am pretty sure my suspicions on what this baby is are correct. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
New here!

We are having a boy!

We did not have an ultrasound with our first 12 years ago....so he was a total surprise. This time I was sure I wanted to know...and the blood test confirmed it was another boy ! Big brother is thrilled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not finding out – I loved the surprise. My husband, after knowing for his first two, LOVED not finding out with our first little one and was totally insistent on not knowing again. I could have gone either way.

Reactions: Sarah Bee
1 - 20 of 22 Posts