Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Muttix2 asked in our current weekly thread:

Quote:
So, who is finding out and who isn't? If you are/aren't, did you find out with your previous kids? Why/why not? And why are/aren't you finding out this time?
And I thought it might make a fun new thread, so voila!

·
Registered
189 Posts
We found out with the first two. both boys.

Part of me wants to find out, and part doesn't, because if its another boy ( :cry
I want to be able to at least choose a girl name! LOL

But i will. When the time comes, it will drive me nuts NOT to.

So i'm a YES vote!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would have kind of enjoyed waiting to find out. We have two girls already but honestly I'm going to be equally happy with a boy or a girl. It'd be kinda cute to see my husband have to deal with three girls.
But he decided he really wants to know. Something about bonding better. *mutter* Oh well. I'll indulge him. We discussed him finding out and me not but that'd drive me insane.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
As I posted on the U/S thread, my father-in-law is an ultrasound tech, so if I have to have an ultrasound at some point in the pregnancy, it might as well be at 20 weeks so we can find out the gender. I want to be able to prepare, both emotionally and with items for baby.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
So, who is finding out and who isn't? If you are/aren't, did you find out with your previous kids? Why/why not? And why are/aren't you finding out this time?

We probably won't find out. We didn't with either of our girls. The reason we didn't and probably won't this time is I LOVE the surprise after all that hard work

·
Registered
273 Posts
Dp and I first decided to find out the sex and just have the one U/S around 20 weeks. I really wanted it to be a surprise but because money is kind of tight and any help from family (ie. clothing, etc) we wanted to be able to use it all...so we thought it wise to find out.

I got the idea at work (I work at a childrens & maternity consignment store) to buy up all the white onesies and tie-dye them so that they are unisex. I am also a hippie!
I just think it would be so much fun to be holding this miracle in my arms and discover for ourselves that this is a little girl or little boy. It just seems so much more fun & exciting. Calling people after the birth and exclaiming "It's a ......"

Dp really liked my idea and so we are still deciding if we want to do that. I am not big on gender specific clothing (ie. ONLY pink and ONLY blue...) so I don't mind waiting. It will force me to find a boy name I like....we're having trouble with that.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I found out with my first 2 ..This time we want to be surprised I agree about it being like a Christmas present..I used to do the same thing when I was little that is why this time we are gonna wait...

·
Registered
153 Posts
We found out with ds, but we'll have a surprise this time. Most of the baby stuff I have is unisex anyway, and as I'm not much into pink anyway, I would have no qualms to use all-boy clothes for a girl.

I'm pretty positive that it's a girl anyway, but we'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm just not sure....we hadn't really decided last time, either, but the screen was facing us during the one U/S we had, and as soon as the tech put the wand on my stomach it was CLEAR AS DAY that we were having a boy. He flipped it off quickly and looked nervous...."did you want to find out the sex of your baby?" But we just laughed---we already knew, and it wasn't a big deal.

This time I think we may go in with the same attitude. We are going to ask that they not tell us, but if it becomes clear, then cool. If not, cool. I also don't really feel like I need any/many extra things if it is a girl, at least not for a while. I might borrow some cute girl clothes for some early pictures from friends, but after that I'll just wait until I feel like going out to consignment stores.

No one really gave us any clothes that we used last time, anyway. I bought everything that I liked for $1 or less at thrift stores. None of our family gave us any clothes, which seemed odd to me at the time, but I'm actually grateful for.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaturtle View Post
We're going to be surprised!

When I was a kid, once I figured out Santa was a big, huge, mean, awful lie, I used to look for the Christmas presents, and I always found them. If I looked early enough, I could find them before they were wrapped... but if I was too late, then they would already be in paper. So... I did what any wanna-be-spy would do... I learned how to unwrap them and then re-wrap them so that no one could tell the difference!

Anyway... this is one gift that I could peek at... but I would like to be surprised for once!!!!
LMAAAAAAAAO! I have a story like that! My mom wrapped up a box, and it was the box i COULDNT figure out what it was. So i opened it (poorly) and it was ONE slipper. Well her rule is, is that once you know what it is, you dont get it. So Here i am Xmas day, with ONLY ONE slipper.. I didnt get the other one until Valentines day, that next year!

Sorry for the extreme tangent!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

I haven't decided myself. Kinda want to, kinda don't. We kept it a surprise with our two boys. This will be our last however and I kind of want to know. I'd be equally happy with a boy or a girl so it isn't that, I just kind of want to know for once. Since I've been thinking about the question more, I've also come to think that I might be better able to handle ppd if I can connect more with the baby while pregnant. Knowing the gender might help with that.

Ah well, undecided

·
Registered
923 Posts
We're going to find out. I figure a surprise is a surprise- you just get it sooner rather than later!!!!!! I can't wait- I'm huge into gender specific, if it's a boy it will be very boyish clothes and lots of blue & green, a girl will be 100% pink and purple, yippeeee!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I can never wait! INfact I am already counting down how much longer until my 20 weeek US. I do think it would be really neat to wait, and maybe w/ the last one I will (plan for 4 kids, this is #3). As for right now, I don't really have anything left over from the girls save a few keepsake outfits, so I will be buying all over again. My house is really small, so I Hope to keep the clothes to a minimum this time and knowing the sex will definately help me do that.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
We have one boy and one girl already. We found out the gender with both of those pregnancies, so we are going to be surprised this time. I'm really excited about not knowing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With ds we waited to find out the sex, which was hard but was also really neat. This time I'm really torn. All my closest friends just know it is a girl, and I don't want to gear myself up on some level for a girl if it is a boy. We'd be thrilled either way. I do feel like it is cheating or something, like opening a present before you are supposed to. I always feel like I'm going to die from anticipation, but I don't really want to know what I'm getting before said holiday. Then there'd be no suprise! All that to say, I have no idea what we're going to do. Really, I kind of doubt we'll get an ultrasound at all unless it is indicated for some reason, so that will probably solve that.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
We didn't find out with either of our 2, and we're not going to find out with this one, either. Love the surprise element, and if we don't know the gender, family can't pressure us into giving away our name picks.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
We arent' finding out. We haven't found out in our previous three pregnancies, and we really like not knowing until the birth. Even in my first two pregnancies, when I got ultrasounds, I made it clear that I did not want to know. It felt special to me to not know.

I'm one that prefers to wait for Christmas to know what the gifts are. It's fun to shake the box and try to guess... it's another thing to open it up and look!

I think over 75% choose to know though, if I'm not mistaken, so I might be alone in that one. Obviously most people like to know!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.