Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some healthy foods my baby can feed himself? I gave him some crackers at a restaurant the other day and he LOVED it. I went to the grocery store looking for healthy crackers and was very disappointed by what I found. Even the stuff made specifically for babies was full of white flour and hydrogenated oils.

I have heard to stay away from whole wheat for babies or I would give him toast. Are rice cakes ok? He likes cheerios but has trouble getting very many of them in his mouth.

This is new to me, having a baby eating so young--both DDs didn't really care for solids at this age. Maybe steamed apples or carrots would be ok? It would be nice if I could put him in his highchair and let him eat while I'm making dinner. (He doesn't tolerate being in the kitchen without being fed LOL.)

TIA

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My only suggestion is to get a baby safe feeder if you are going to feed solids at this age. My 7 month old uses hers a lot with fruit in it or I put a teething biscuit in it. I sit right there with her though no matter what she's eating. I would not risk it and turn your back for a second at this age. Your baby could choke before you know it and not be able to make a sound. He could be unconscious before you even turn back around.

I suggest small pieces of banana, avacado, cooked apples, or moistened cheerios or crackers.

Corrie

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Wheat is a potential allergen, but not all babies are sensitive to it.

So toasted bread may be an option. I used to give mine a piece of frozen bagel. Not the healthiest thing, but it was nice and hard and cold and felt good on teething gums and lasted a while, and they didn't get all that much off of it.

Rice cakes are an option too. But be careful not to let a 5 mo old have too many solids at first. It may not agree with his digestive system, no matter how much he thinks he wants to eat it.

Rice (cakes) and bananas can be constipating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.