Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to aleviate (sp?) the sting/itch of fire ant bites? Dd (19 months) got into a nest and has at least 13 bites on her hand
I gave her a bath, put some alcohol on it (that's what I do when I get bitten) and it was bedtime so she went to sleep. If she is anything like me, she will have swollen hot spots on her hand tomorrow and it will itch like crazy - what can I do to take the itch away? I know it would drive me nuts, what must it feel like for someone so little!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
if you're into homeopathy, try ledum or apis.

is the area red and cool to the touch? if yes, try ledum. if there's much swelling and the bites sting and burn, try apis.

when my son was stung by a bee and we were away from home, i rubbed a lime on the area. it cooled it down and took away the stinging pain.

good luck!
kppy

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kppy
if you're into homeopathy, try ledum or apis.

is the area red and cool to the touch? if yes, try ledum. if there's much swelling and the bites sting and burn, try apis.

when my son was stung by a bee and we were away from home, i rubbed a lime on the area. it cooled it down and took away the stinging pain.

good luck!
kppy
Where would I get these? All of the bites are swollen and warm - some of them are blistering now (which is what happens to me when I get bitten) She hasn't been acting like they bother her too much yet but if she keeps following my patterns, she's going to be miserable tomorrow

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Staraklaw
poor thing? Did you try a cool paste of baking soda mixed with water? You can reapply it as often as you want and also maybe ice it. good luck...
She won't let me keep ice on it, but if I give her ice in a cup she'll play with it until it melts so maybe I'll try that after she wakes up. The only thing that bothers me with putting a paste on her hand is she is CONSTANTLY putting her hands in her mouth - and she has so many bites that the whole hand needs to be covered!

·
Registered
105 Posts
3littlemonkeys,

you can usually buy homeopathic remedies at the health food store. if you have one in your area, call and ask if they carry apis in a 30c.

let me know and i can tell you how to administer the apis.
kppy

·
Registered
105 Posts
i have to run out now and wasn't sure if you were going to get the apis or not so i will go ahead and tell you how to give it.

get a small bottle of spring water, dump a bit out. put in 1 or 2 balls of the remedy into the bottle and let it dissolve. a dose = i small sip. (pour a bit on a spoon and give?)

you can give it every 1/2 hour or until you see an improvement.(stop after a few hours tho- it means it's not the right remedy) stop giving when you see an improvement (less swelling, redness) give a dose if the improvement stops.

i'm not a homeopath but i use remedies like this for my own family. also, i work with a marvelous homeopath who has taught me alot!

hope your baby gets better soon!
kppy

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much kppy! We didn't get the apis yet - some things happened this afternoon and we weren't able to make it to the store. I'm going to go in the morning. She still doesn't seem to be bothered too much by the bites, but she has about 5 or 6 little blisters on her hand - poor babe, makes me miserable just thinking about it! I hate ant bites!

·
Registered
105 Posts
you're welcome!

if she's not too bothered then maybe you should jsut skip the apis? another good item to have at home is calendula lotion. we use it for burns, bites and cuts. my daughter had a split lip last summer and we used calendula on it till healed.. no scar and she never had an infection. if you go to the health food store you could pick up both and be covered for future bites ect...

hope it all resolves quickly!
kppy

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you're not too adverse to it, you might also consider using an anti-hystamine (like Benadryl). You can take orally (I know 1/2 tsp is ok for a baby around 24 lbs.). I think they have it in a cream form, too, which you might be able to use topically. If she has a strong reaction, she's having an allergic reaction to the fire ant venom, which an anti-hystamine should help. Just be sure to push fluids and be prepared for a sleepy baby.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.