Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking this in stride and as a very positive thing. We just recently found out that we are expecting child number 4. On Friday, I had an appointment with the same OB group that attended me with all previous births only to find out that after I had wasted an hour in the waiting room, I was being 'fired'. Turns out, they had a 'very bad experience' with a VBAC recently and all the doctors had decided that they would no longer perform VBACs.

Now, my first birth was an emergency cesarean that I now believe to have been a result of 'pitocin induced stress' (google it if you are interested). After that one, I went on to have two very successful VBACs. All of this with the same group. I now see that the only reason that I stayed with them was a false sense of comfort (they know me and my preferences, were doing what was best, etc). That being said, I do know that my second birth experience was one of the few VBACs ever done by that group. I'd like to think that the resident that attended that birth went on with an untainted view of VBACs and saw that they truly can be successful.

I honestly don't think it was fear that caused this ob group to make such a drastic decision, but money. I'm in the health care industry, as is my spouse and we see first hand what horrors the money factor can create. After my ob stated that there was a study that showed that the increase for uterine rupture greatly increased with each VBAC, the light finally turned on. Time for me to find a midwife group that will support me and my decision to have my V3BAC and not try the scare-factor submission method with me.

Thanks for listening to my rant...I know I rambled, but it feels better to get this out. We haven't announced the pregnancy to anyone yet, so I've not really been able to get this out (except with the hubby who is furious).

· Registered
1,539 Posts

· Registered
1,611 Posts
i'm hesitant to really "blame" any OB for any of the over-cautious stuff they do. isn't OB the most risky field in terms of malpractice? if anything i blame litigious american society for ruining it for the rest of us.
like, why do i have to worry about an unnecessary c-section because my OB has been traumatized by the fear of being sued?

· Premium Member
15,163 Posts
Congratulations on your upcoming baby! And welcome to the club. I have been fired three times (and not even over something so "serious" as a VBAC, mine was for my "natural birth" desires).

I am hoping to not make it to four (I have an appointment with an OB next week, so I shall see).

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses ladies, especially the link from Firewoman. MrsFloyd, I'm definitely going to change my rhetoric to state that they quit on me! I liked that!

· Registered
4,360 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngfrankenstein View Post
I guess the bright side is that they were up front with you. I've read many threads where the doc is acting like they'll do VBAC and when it gets closer and closer, they start changing their tune.
Yes, I've BTDT and it was horrible! I agree that you are lucky to know where they stand this early on (I ended up with a desperate search for a new dr at 36 wks pg). Hopefully you will find an excellent HCP to take their place!

· Registered
10,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Floyd View Post
I just love how they fire us when we're the ones paying them. They can't fire us. They quit. From now on, when you're talking about an OB that decided not to see you anymore, tell people they quit on you. LOL
ITA!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.