Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they love it or hate it? I showed DS "fireworks" on the computer and he was enthralled and said he wanted to see them tonight, but of course I worry that the noise will freak him out and we'll have a meltdown on our hands. Not that I'm not used to carrying him outta places kicking and screaming.....<br><br>
Happy 4th BTW!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I guess you just have to decide based on your kiddo. Our plan is to not go the main activities/up close but to watch from a distance.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last year he was a year old and freaked completely. This year he seemed a little concerned about the noise, but he was also transfixed. I would say he really enjoyed them this year- the big show and the little ones that the neighbors put on. He loves those little poppers he can throw. It was a full day, but a good one!

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Depends on the child. My 5 year old covered her ears but loved watching. This year her sister who is two...danced and screamed and was so excited..she loved it. My oldest would have been terrified I think.<br><br>
Take into consideration that it will be late and they might be tired and a semi-sensitive child might be ultra sensitive. I made sure my daughter's nap was late on Tuesday night when we went(Canada Day)<br><br>
Happy Independence Day!

·
Registered
49 Posts
We left the show early. My two year old kept saying, "all done," "boom" and "scary." She didn't freak-out, but she really wanted to leave, so we did.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
DS will be 2.5 next month and we took him to the show and told him that fireworks are safe and fun but that if he didn't like them we could leave right away. He LOVED it!<br><br>
Then when we got home and he didn't want to go to bed he whimpered that the fireworks scare him and he needs to stay up with momma and daddy to snuggle. Man they certainly are smart little ones, aren't they?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
At this age I am not willing to sacrifice a sane and peaceful bedtime. Staying up for fireworks would certainly = meltdown. I think he would enjoy it if we were far enough awy so it wasn't too loud. FWIW my neighbors were doing small fireworks on our court and one of our neighbors had their almost 3 year old out there and he seemed to enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My twins are almost 28 months old and we did our own fireworks. Kaytlin liked the first few but after that she was done. She hated the sound and spent the evening inside, while Alivea loved them. She was amazed at the lights and sounds. I would at least try and if they don't like it, the worst thing you would do is leave....

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I took both my kids (1 and 3) to our Canada Day fireworks and they both loved it!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
At 6 months DD watched the whole show enthralled. At 18 months she slept through them. This summer she wanted me to cover her ears but loved the color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts