Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it with my left breast. It has never produced even half what the right does, and is prone to mastitis because what is in there doesn't come out fast enough for DD so she bails on it - which these days involves a good chomp to say "done on that side ma!". I am currently on antibiotics for yet another round of mastitis and my nipple is just trashed because of the pump (blisters, what fun) and DD's now-crappy latch on that side.

So I'm firing that boob. It's done. It doesn't get to nurse any more.

I am going to keep pumping on that side, 3X a day at first then drop down to two full pumps and one just to take any engorgement down, then to two, and so on. I will nurse DD just on the good side. She is eating a lot of solids now (she's a year old) and I am not worried about her not getting enough milk, since she got most of her milk from that side anyway.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan, besides me ending up a little lopsided? I really want to keep nursing DD as long as she wants but I just can't deal with the constant stress and pain of left-boob problems.

UPDATE: So my grand master plan seems to be backfiring a little. I am nursing DD just on the right side except for her huge 5 am feed, when I give her both boobies. I'm pumping 3-4X a day on the left, and I'll start to drop it down when I feel that the boob is all healed from the mastitis. Problem is now I have way too much milk!!! I'm getting 3-4 oz each time I pump and DD is just not that into boobie juice from anything other than a boobie. I have called the local milk bank to offer my extra but I haven't heard back from them yet, and the info I could find on the website says potential donors must have a baby under the age of one - and DD just turned one. Would they turn me down because of that? Why would they have such a limit?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

It sounds like your left side has given you quite a run for your money! I applaud you for sticking with it through all your issues.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with feeding from one side only. Hopefully another (wiser) mama can help you out there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi there. I just wanted to say that my left breast was also a "poor doer". My DD didn't like nursing on that side, either. I kept up with it until our CLW, but I would guess that after DD was about 18 mos., we were 80% on the right breast and 20% on the left. I am small breasted to begin with, so I think the lopsided effect was pronounced on me. Sometimes DH would giggle about it, but who cares?

Enjoy your nursing toddler, and ditch that troublesome boobie.

~Diane

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think (and hope) you'll make out fine nursing from one side. Tova has been nursing from the left side only since I had severe mastitis (five days in hospital, one week of bed rest with IV antibiotics) in mid-May. I just was never able to get her back on the right side after that -- my boob was sore and sandpapery for weeks and she resisted -- despite our best efforts. I pumped for about three months, working my way from about five times a day downward. Nature just seemed to take its course and it has worked out fine. I've got small boobs anyway, but it is kind of funny to look in the mirror and see my AA cup on the right and my A on the left. But southpaw has worked for us, which is funny because up until having mastitis, it had always seemed like my right breast was the best producer and most favoured. Anyhow, all the best with it and hopefully this will be the end of your mastitis experiences. It can be horrendous ...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I nursed ds1 from my right side only from 7mos on. He just refused the left breast. We never had any problems and nursed for over a year on one breast. Sure, lopsided, there are jelly inserts for that (if it even bothers you.) Hang in there mama! I think you have a great plan!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Let's hear it for lopsided mama's!!!! I thought I was one of a few -looks like there's more of us out there. My DS was a very matter-of-fact nurser and would not put up with the lower production on the RIGHT side. Sounds like most of you are right only's - interesting. He weaned himself down on that side over a few weeks and I had no engorgement when he finally stopped completely (shows there wasn't much right). BUT - I did regain my fertility that month! That was about 9 mo pp. I was disappointed in that - I went 18 mo with DD, but she was a champion nurser who would not let a slow side slow her down.

Something to watch for if you haven't regained fertility - going to one boob might be the tipping point in the hormone game. But I have even heard of a mom of twins who nursed both exclusively from one side. Obviously we are all different, but supply is relative to demand, and if babe is happy on one side, then there you go. '

Oh, and I stuffed my small side with cotton nursing pads when I wore something where the lopsided effect was noticable. Cracked me up - my whole life being small breasted and never stuffed or padded until the problem was a big boob - the other boob!
violet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts