Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I went to the OB/GYN doctor's office that did my surgery back in March (I had a dermoid cyst that completely engulfed my left ovary and had to have it removed) and my appt was with the nurse midwife there. So to start things out we waited well over an hour to see her and then she marches in there introduces herself and then goes to look over my paperwork. She sees that my daughter weighed 10lbs 14 oz at birth and completely freaks out. Says that Kaylee was a sugar baby in order for her to weigh that much. I told her no she wasn't a sugar baby, that I had no trouble with my blood sugar the entire pregnancy and Kaylee had no trouble with her blood sugar after birth. She goes into this long spill about how if I wouldn't have gained so much weight then Kaylee wouldn't have been such a big baby. yeah ok whatever
This woman didn't listen to a word I had to say. Oh and she went on to say that they would begin testing me immediately for GD and continue every month through my pregnancy!!!
I thought to myself, "No you won't do that." I absolutely refuse to put my body and my baby through such a horrible test month after month. So the only good thing about my appt yesterday was we did get to see our baby
and it's little heart was just beating away! Such a miracle! So my plan is now to just stick strictly with my homebirth MW for all my prenatal care and the birth.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Vixxen,

I agree with the pps....good for your for knowing where you stand and moving on when something doesn't feel right! You are advocating for your child already!

I remember reading somewhere that a baby over 9 lbs at birth is most likely a "sugar baby" and I found that very offensive, as my last child was 9 lbs 5 oz and NOT a sugar baby. I took pride in the great diet I ate, my exercise during pregnancy, etc. (That's not to suggest that those of you with GD don't do those things as well! I know many of you do!) I would have had the same reaction, had I run into an OB with an attitude like yours. In Bradley classes, I remember the big focus on eating protein and helping to build a healthy, big baby by doing so.

Enjoy your MW, who I am sure is much more like-minded!

Emily

1 - 5 of 5 Posts