Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is your initial appointment?

What route are you going: midwife, OB, unassisted?

I haven't sheduled my first visit yet, but am hoping to hire a home birth midwife. I'll be making calls later this week.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I see the nurse practitioner at my GP's office this coming Thursday. It'll be mostly discussing how we want to handle my high chance of having ICP again. We don't have midwives here, and I wouldn't do unassisted with my complications. It's just a question of when to start with the OB. Here they usually have you see your family doctor until 30-34 weeks and then the OB, but I may need to be handed off to the OB earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: valerievalira

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Besides my regular job I'm a midwife assistant so I already hired my homebirth midwife... I've had two UCs before but my midwife is the bomb, it's not even remotely invasive.

6w ultrasound is where I'm starting off, so I still have a week and a half to even possibly get there. Hoping to heart heartbeat.

Reactions: valerievalira

·
Registered
3 Posts
My last was born at home, I will probably use the same midwife again, she is great (and also very non-invasive!) Our local birthing center is very small and delivery is done by midwives so it's nice to know if anything happens early we can go there. I will probably wait until I am 8 + weeks to contact anyone. The only person that knows right now is my partner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@BirthFree that's awesome you've had UC's. I'd love to do that, hubby isn't on board at all.
Our insurance sucks big time right now, so I finally am able to converse about homebirth. It'll cost $9000 or so to have the hospital birth through insurance and I'm thinking a homebirth has to be less than that, by far. I'm planning a homebirth, with or without him, hahaha. Everyone will think I'm nuts, but I love my life so differently than my family, that they won't expect less.
I'm still searching for a midwife, I'm hoping I'll be able to locate one I like before too long.

·
Registered
824 Posts
We have a blizzard warning for tonight into tomorrow morning. My appointment is looking unlikely to happen now. Ugh.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Homebirth midwife (and fingers crossed about that - my biggest fear is always risking out, and that happened last time though it ended up being an unplanned homebirth so in a roundabout way I got my wish - long story). We'll be doing the initial prenatal visit whenever the free cell non invasive testing already gives good results - I think that's about 10 weeks. I'm pretty low intervention, so nothing much to do before that.

·
Registered
633 Posts
@BirthFreeOur insurance sucks big time right now, so I finally am able to converse about homebirth. It'll cost $9000 or so to have the hospital birth through insurance and I'm thinking a homebirth has to be less than that, by far.
Homebirth here is arounf $2500-$4000 depending on practitioner, jsut for the birth itself though.

I know because I'm a VBAC and out of hospital midwife attended VBACs are not covered by insurance in my state, so need to pay for the birth itself out of pocket (they'll pay for pre and post natal care)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just had my initial visit on Tuesday. Figured out that I'm so dizzy because my blood pressure is 76/42!

I'm a midwife and lucky to live near my midwife from my first birth (when I was a student), so I get to have her again! I called her as soon as I peed on the stick and made her save me a spot. I also called her a few months ago before we starting TTC so we could plan it around her vacation :)

I chose an earlier appointment because I wanted IPS this time and wanted to get that organized.

Planning another home birth. I'm so lucky to live where it's all covered by public health insurance. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you guys who are trying to find a midwife or trying to decide if you can afford the birth you want. I really feel for you :stillheart Maybe you should all just move to Canada :)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Just had my initial visit on Tuesday. Figured out that I'm so dizzy because my blood pressure is 76/42!

I'm a midwife and lucky to live near my midwife from my first birth (when I was a student), so I get to have her again! I called her as soon as I peed on the stick and made her save me a spot. I also called her a few months ago before we starting TTC so we could plan it around her vacation :)

I chose an earlier appointment because I wanted IPS this time and wanted to get that organized.

Planning another home birth. I'm so lucky to live where it's all covered by public health insurance. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you guys who are trying to find a midwife or trying to decide if you can afford the birth you want. I really feel for you :stillheart Maybe you should all just move to Canada :)

What is IPS?

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is IPS?
Oops! I should have been clearer. Stands for Integrated Prenatal Screen, it's what we call the down's syndrome/ spina bifida/genetic screening here. There are probably different names for it in other places.

I didn't do it with my first, but I've since seen many people go through pregnancies with severely deformed fetus' and feel that I would want to know early and having testing and options available to me.

·
Registered
824 Posts

I wish all of Canada had midwives. I'm in Canada and we don't :(

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yeah, I know. I've been helping with the fight to get them in New Brunswick and they are finally hiring! I think PEI is probably still going to be a while from what I hear :(

Yeah I'm in one of those provinces. Although, I'm doubtful that even if we get them before I'm done having babies that any midwives will touch me with a ten foot pole thanks to the ICP I had with my son. Which breaks my heart, I have a 60-90% chance of it coming back, but it may not. I'm guessing my dreams of a homebirth will ever come true.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah I'm in one of those provinces. Although, I'm doubtful that even if we get them before I'm done having babies that any midwives will touch me with a ten foot pole thanks to the ICP I had with my son. Which breaks my heart, I have a 60-90% chance of it coming back, but it may not. I'm guessing my dreams of a homebirth will ever come true.

I just saw PEI on your sidebar profile so I assumed. But yeah, at least Nova Scotia has them and is actually planning to finally expand their program. Maybe if you're willing to travel?
For ICP, it depends how serious it is. I've had a couple clients with it, one who chose a natural home induction.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I just saw PEI on your sidebar profile so I assumed. But yeah, at least Nova Scotia has them and is actually planning to finally expand their program. Maybe if you're willing to travel?

For ICP, it depends how serious it is. I've had a couple clients with it, one who chose a natural home induction.

PEI healthcare wouldn't cover it though, so traveling would be prohibitively expensive. Plus I'd have to leave my nursing then 2 year old. With ICP I'm not willing to go past 37 weeks. Stillbirth risk is too high. But if I didn't develop ICP a homebirth is my dream. Just doesn't seem destined around here. Midwifery is being discussed and actually there's a vote on it next month in the legislature, but I know a lot of people here are spreading a lot of fear mongering so I doubt it will pass

·
Registered
143 Posts
PEI healthcare wouldn't cover it though, so traveling would be prohibitively expensive. Plus I'd have to leave my nursing then 2 year old. With ICP I'm not willing to go past 37 weeks. Stillbirth risk is too high. But if I didn't develop ICP a homebirth is my dream. Just doesn't seem destined around here. Midwifery is being discussed and actually there's a vote on it next month in the legislature, but I know a lot of people here are spreading a lot of fear mongering so I doubt it will pass

And even if the legislation passes, it could still take 10 years or more like it did in NB! SO frustrating. When will they realize that midwives save the system money and keep moms and babes healthy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I was denied for Medicaid, and the ACA plan I have has a $7000 deductible. So I've made an appointment with a free clinic on Tuesday. At least I should be able to get proof of pregnancy and maybe an ultrasound.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts