Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had uterine surgery to remove fibroids and fix a t-shaped uterus. This surgery was necessary (I think) because I had been trying for 8 years to get pregnant to no avail. 10 months after the surgery, boom: I am pregnant. SO my OB tells me that I will have to a scheduled C-section proir to going into labor because the stress of labor could be risky due to the scar tissue. He told me the risk of rupture was around 10% if I opted to try a vaginal birth. The scar tissue I have is on the top part of my uterus, this is why he explained, is the difference between me and a women who had just had a prior c-section. Now, doing some reserarch WAY after the fact, I am wondering if I could have had a vaginal birth. I didnt question him at all before. We did the amnio to check for lung maturity and took Simon at 37.5 weeks. The baby did fine, no lasting side effects from being early (that I can tell). WHat do you think?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I would have to guess that it would be based on what type of scar you had on your uterus, where it was and how many scars there were. Maybe you could take your records to a 2nd OB and ask?

·
Registered
921 Posts
If the surgery was through the full thicknes of your fundus (top part of your uterus), then your risk of rupture would be high. The fundus is the contracting part of your uterus and therefore under the most stress. Moms who have had classical cesareans, which are vertical incisions in their fundus, have a 5-8% chance of rupture.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had a myomectomy as well back in 2002 to remove six large fibroids that caused me to have a miscarriage at 14 weeks. My son was born in May 2004. Both my surgeon and OB said that a vaginal birth was out of the question. After doing additional research I have to say I now agree. My largest fibroid (grapefruit sized) was near my cervix, but another large one was also in my fundus. My OB said after my c/s that having actually seen my uterus he was even more convinced that a vaginal birth is out of the question.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I've been doing a lot of recent reading on VABCs the past few weeks. A scar high on the uterus, through the entire thickness, has a much higher risk of rupture than a low transverse scar (from a typical c/s these days). On top of that the surgery and pregnancy were only 10 months apart (19 months from surgery to labor), which is rather short in terms of healing. It sounds as if the c/s was the way to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts