Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I dreamt that I had had my baby and as my childbirth instructor (weird...) was checking him over, she found that he had an eye on his back!! She told me I needed to take him to a pediatrician. So strange.

There was also just an general unhappy vibe to the dream, I think mostly just from feeling potentially inadequate.

But, I do not like unhappy dreams!!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I always have crazy and scary nightmares when I am pregnant. I hate it. I have had about 4 so far, and they were in the last few weeks. I will spare everyone the scary details. But I have woken up crying a few times and my last pregnancy, I had by far the worst nightmare that took a few hours to recover from. BLAH to bad dreams.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Slightly DDC crashing here (although my "term window" definitely extends into June), but I almost always dream that the baby comes out and is a cat instead of a human... we do have four cats, and I love them, but I'm always disappointed in the dream. I guess it's just my subconscious exploring irrational fears, but I'll be relieved when the baby arrives all the same!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I owe some money to student loan people IRL, and the other night I had a dream that they came to take me away to jail! They pried my baby out of my arms. In the dream, I asked, "Who will feed her?" and my husband said, "Guess we will just have to give her formula!" Then they carted me off to jail!! It was pretty freaky.

I have way more dreams about my husband cheating on me, leaving me, or dying, after the baby is born, leaving me to raise a child alone. Those dreams really scare me, and leave me with a bad feeling all day!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I haven't had any wacky dreams this pregnancy yet, but last time I dreamt my son was a worm that disappeared into my nipple when I tried to breastfeed him, a cat who had really sharp teeth but I was determined to try breastfeeding anyway, and a lizard who I decided to love no matter what (but secretly wished I had birthed a human!)

I'm sure there were more but those are the only ones I can remember. Think I had much anxiety about breastfeeding?

·
Registered
310 Posts
This makes me feel so much better to read. Last night I dreamed that I gave birth and the baby was really small and I didn't even pick it up. It was just laying there on the floor and I went about whatever I was doing before the birth, like no big deal. Then I remembered the baby was there and that it was probably cold so I wrapped it in a blanket and picked it up. I have been a wreck all day that this means I am going to be an awful mother. I already have one dd, so maybe this just plays into my fears and nerves about mothering two?

i am so glad i am not the only one with nightmares.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihugtrees View Post
I owe some money to student loan people IRL, and the other night I had a dream that they came to take me away to jail! They pried my baby out of my arms. In the dream, I asked, "Who will feed her?" and my husband said, "Guess we will just have to give her formula!" Then they carted me off to jail!! It was pretty freaky.

I have way more dreams about my husband cheating on me, leaving me, or dying, after the baby is born, leaving me to raise a child alone. Those dreams really scare me, and leave me with a bad feeling all day!
Nasty student loans! They will haunt you until the day you send your LO off to college.

I have actually had a weird dream about DD growing an eye on her back. It was freaky, but I remember, we just took her to the doctor to get it checked out, and it was supposed to go away after a few weeks. Weird! I wonder if that is a common dream theme.

I have had a couple dreams where I wake up with a baby and I don't even remember giving birth, and I don't have any diapers and the house is a total mess. Hmmm.....not too subtle I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Okay, I just woke up from this dream so I remember all the details. I dreamt that when I had the baby, a good portion of my family--extended family included--was all there, and the birth was in a hospital...not the small, intimate home birth I have planned. When the baby was born, they took her from me--neither DH nor I got to touch her before the nurses took her. They took her out of the room, saying she was fine but they had to do some 'routine procedures'. I was really upset and kept saying, "I want my baby" and everyone was acting like I was a crazy hysterical person, being unreasonable and difficult. I just knew that the baby was crying somewhere, and that they were bathing her and giving her shots and doing all the things I didn't want, and I wanted to nurse her right away and everything...but I was helpless, and nobody else was doing anything either...my husband was nowhere to be found, my own mother kept telling me it was just what they do in hospitals, the rest of my family rolled my eyes because they thought I was being dramatic, all while I got more and more upset. Finally, my mom went up to a checkout window to buy some food, and for $199 they gave her the baby instead. She was all clean and wrapped up in a blanket--not the gunk covered, floppy baby I had wanted put on my chest after she was born...I had to snatch her out of my mothers arms because she didn't even think to hand her to me. When I held her, I felt such overwhelming love and relief, but at the same time, I felt like, "I am never going to get to relive the last few hours, and it was so, so not what I wanted." I was so happy but I was so disappointed and felt so cheated. I also wanted to get away from all the people and just hold my baby skin to skin...so I walked away from everyone, searching for a place to do so...And my DH...where the heck was he this whole time?!? No idea. Then, I woke up.

Think I have a little apprehension about the birth? I can see pretty clearly that I'm worried about things going much differently then DH and I want, in some pretty specific ways--DH disappearing, mom taking over, too many people around, and me ending up in a hospital, with things not going very well. I'm glad I had this dream to help me identify some of my fears and worries about the birth.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've dreamed that my baby was born a plastic doll and I had to put it in water to let it grow.
Early on I dreamed I gave birth to a ball of gluten.
Then I've had dreams that I keep going places and suddenly realize that I left the baby sleeping at home and I go into a blind panic trying to get back to it. The baby is always fine and smiling at me when i get there.
On the other hand, I've had a few dreams about labor being completely enjoyable and painless.
WEIRD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.