Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did you do it? Our last 2 have been homebirths so we haven't had anyone "clean up" the baby right away. Last time we waited a couple of weeks to wash DD at all except for her hands and face. Now, at less than 2 days old I am thinking about washing DS because he is a little extra cruddy.

Just wondering what other mamas have done. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It's kinda a blur for me, but I think it was within the first week. He was born august 5 & it was pretty hot so skin to skin = sweaty for us. Even now we try to do a bath every 2 to 3 days. He's a stinky boy
wink1.gif

Sent from my Evo Shift using TapaTalk, please forgive typos

·
Registered
791 Posts
He was born at sunrise on Friday morning (homebirth) and his first bath was sometime Saturday or Sunday, I think. I really don't remember much about those first few days - long labor. We did it fairly early on because DS had a lot of hair and it was pretty crusty. SIL and DH did it because I was too weak to get out of bed. But then I don't think we bathed him again for awhile after that. Then when he was maybe 3 or 4 weeks old we discovered he really liked the tub so he got a bath every night before bed - but no soap, just water.

·
Registered
951 Posts
we definitely bathed within the first couple of days... like PP, our LO had lots of hair and it was pretty full with birth stuff! :) it actually took me a couple baths to get it all out because he screamed, so i made it super short...but within that first week i realized it was cold in the bathroom and that's what he didn't like. we then heated the bathroom before undressing (it was the winter). since then, he's a water baby!

congrats!!! i hope you're both doing well!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Doh! *that* first bath. 2 days while we were still in the hosp.

Sent from my Evo Shift using TapaTalk, please forgive typos

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
We had a homebirth also. The midwife cleaned her up a bit shortly after birth (wiped dry and such, her temp was a bit low so we didn't want her to stay wet). The bath was about a week later and DD and I had it together in the big tub, she really enjoyed it till it was time to come out!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Homebirth here, too. We used olive oil to clean DD off of some of the crud around day 3. It worked great, even in her hair. Then washed her hair around day 5. Then full on full bath was around 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
we waited until almost 2 weeks with DD, and with DS I think we bathed him after 1 week. DD was born in the water and came out fast, so there wasn't a lot of birth "stuff" on her, just a fair amount of vernix that was rubbed in pretty easily. At 6 weeks she gets a bath every 3 days or so.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
DD, hospital birth, had a lot of vernix and was covered in blood and mec that just mixed with the vernix when they tried to rub her off, so she got a bath about an hour after she was born. DS, my homebirth, was a pretty clean baby, so he did't get a full bath until 2 weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.