Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD turned two years old in November, and we haven't yet taken her to the dentist. When is a good time, and what do they do at the first appointment?

At what age did you take your child? How was the experience?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
We took our three year old to the dentist. On that first visit he basically just rode up and down in the chair and got an idea of what "going to the dentist" was going to look like. Dentist tried to get him to open his mouth so he could take a quick look, but ds wasn't having it, so we left it at that. However, since he drew the short end of the genetic stick, toothwise, he's been back regularly since then.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Our DS was also 3 when we took him for his first appointment. It actually went better than I could have hoped. The dentist checked his teeth, hygenist cleaned them and gave him a flouride treatment... all without complaints! Mind you our dentist office is really geared to children and the dentist is a really goofy friendly guy who goes slowly and explains everything directly to the child. I was in the room as well which I think really helped.

We also prepared DS about what was going to happen. We practiced opening our mouths wide and pretended to count each others teeth. Seemed to work... or all the planets and stars were aligned that day

·
Registered
216 Posts
We brought DD in at 3. The dentist showed her all of the equipment and explained everything before she sat in the chair which I think helped keep dd calm. We also explained everything in advance. They were able to clean her teeth on her first visit! And no cavities! She actually still likes to go at 5 - which I attribute to the new toothbrush and stickers she walks away with!

That said, I think we waited too long. I'd go, even if it's just to "count their teeth' - no cleaning, as soon as you think your dc would tolerate it. I have heard of very young toddlers with cavities. Especially if your lo doesn't tolerate tooth brushing very well. Just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My twins are turning 3 in March and we are planning to take them in the summer. Whenever we feel they are ready. I already talked to my dentist about doing a fluoride free teeth cleaning and they have agreed
: I figured it would be a lot harder to find a dentist willing to do it.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
We went today! DS is 15.5 months. They said they like to first seem them at a year but only because they want to tell the parents to stop giving their child endless bottles and sippys of juice

They were THRILLED to learn that ds nurses, has never had a bottle and not really any juice either.
They were sincerely glad that he is still nursing which is so wonderful because i've heard horror stories of dentists trying to get mamas to wean toddlers asap and what not.

Anyway, they had ds sit on my lap and look in his mouth, he was totally comfortable, didn't cry, was very still, and very interested in the light.

They said everything looks great, told me it's good to make toothbrushing fun/make a routine out of it and that if i could possibly start to floss his teeth it would be a bonus, but not necessarily crutial at this age.

Anyway, it was a great experience and I would totally recommend calling around/getting a good referral for a place that promotes breastfeeding instead of bashing it!!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
My kids just started 6 mos ago. DD was 5 and DS 3 (money and health insurance were issues)
anyway..the dentist and hygienist are GREAT! The place is not necessarily pediatric in the sense that cartoons are on and things are colorful and "geared " for kids...but
they are kind and responsive. They talk to the kids and are genuinely interested in their answers.
At the end the kids get a toothbrush and get to pick a junky plastic toy out of the treasure box.
Both kids did have fluoride treatments and I am not against them.
Both my kids like going and it is not scary at all. No tears on dentist day. they have both been twice.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well...we had a very different experience. DH and I took the twins 6 months ago, when they were a little over 2 years old. It was completely traumatic for us and for them. They both cried terribly through the whole experience. It was a pediatric dentist's office (although I've seen some since that looked like a lot more "fun") and the staff was nice. There were stuffed animals and murals of trains and fun things hanging from the ceilings. But my boys just do NOT like being in situations where they are made to sit still (haircuts, doctor appointments, photo sittings, their stroller, etc.) I think that's probably partly due to the fact that they were preemies and spent their first three months in the NICU.

The dentist tried to take x-rays. I have no idea if any of them turned out. The boys wouldn't stay sitting in the x-ray chair, so DH ended up sitting in the chair with one of those lead aprons on, with a screaming, struggling child on his lap (with his own apron on). It seemed like it took FOREVER (times two). I had to stand outside the door (to avoid radiation) which made it worse for the boys I'm sure. Then, for the check-up part of the visit, we again had to basically hold them down, straddled with their bottoms on DH's lap and their head on the dentist's lap while she took a quick look inside and swabbed them with something. The whole thing was just horrible.

I think the reason we decided to take them so young was because our insurance plan covers check-ups 100% and recommends taking them at 1yo, so we thought we were "behind". Also, a friend of ours had just taken her 3yo son and found out he had 5 cavities. So we wanted to make sure everything was OK. In hindsight, we feel like we didn't think it through very well and wish we had waited a year or more. Our boys were breastfed and we don't give them sugar, so the risk of them having cavities was really, really low. I'm concerned that the trauma far outweighed the benefit and I just hope we haven't set them up to hate the dentist forever.

Anyway...sounds like our experience wasn't the norm. If your DD does well at doctors appointments and haircuts, she'll probably do fine. But I also think you'd probably be OK to wait until she's a little older and can have things explained to her.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmoon2000 View Post
The dentist tried to take x-rays.
What??? I can barely sit still for those b/c of the weird card things they shove in my mouth. I know that my DS wouldn't be able to sit through that either!

Sorry to hear your experience was so bad!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ds started going around 14 months and has been going every 6 months (he just turned 2). The dentist just has him lay his head on my lap and looks in his mouth. Around 2.5 he will do his first cleaning, I am sure it will be a mild start.

·
Registered
304 Posts
DD went at about 18 months after falling and bonking her teeth. She screamed bloody murder when we walked into the room before they did anything. All the dentist did was look in her mouth, but she was not having it. I am totally dreading going for a regular check-up/cleaning. I am not sure when we will actually do that. Maybe a little before her 3rd birthday.

Tracy

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have always taken mine for their first visit before they are two, but we have a history of severe dental caries. Our ped. dentist actually started peeking in dd's mouth at 6 months. They have always been very patient and good with the kids. Sometimes they have cried when younger, but for the most part it was a positive experience.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
We took Alexander at 3 because he chipped his front teeth. He's gone every 3 months since then so they could look at the teeth to make sure nothing needed to be done about them. The dentist said the only reason to do anything is if we had a problem with the way they looked, but he'd recommend leaving them alone since they're not bothering Alexander. We've opted to leave them alone. We go back for our first cleaning when Alexander is 4 years old. (June)

Alexander did fine. The dentist is a pediatric dentist and was really good at getting Alexander to open his mouth. He talked to him about Spider-Man.
And was very understanding when Alexander didn't want to lay down on the chair, etc. We had a very positive experience.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.