Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you been to your first on visit yet to confirm pregnancy? Is the very first visit really necessary? I don't want to go too early and then make the pregnancy go by so slow. I've been taking prenatals since I found out. Husband wants me to go to confirm pregnancy, but the 15 tests I've taken are good enough for me haha! He doesn't want to tell anyone else until I go to the doc. We have told close friends and I told his mom, and she told his dad and his sister.. Way to keep that secret, haha! We are 5 weeks along. Last kid I told everyone at 6 weeks.. I don't mind telling people early, I figure if something happened, I would have the support. Anyway, I was going to call and make an appt today, but just curious when you had your first appt. and if it was really necessary?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've only had my first appointments at 10 weeks, and will probably have my first this time at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I sometimes go in early for an ultrasound, only because of my history. Otherwise, my last pregnancies have been unassisted. This time I may see a midwife but will not schedule my first appt until probably around 20 weeks. I meet with her on 1/6 but just for a consult to see if we will work well together. ;)

There's really nothing to confirm unless you have a history of loss or early complications. They might do some baseline bloodwork for their own records but even that can be done later on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love my midwives, so I am looking forward to seeing them. I am not sure if they will want to see me right away or wait a few weeks. I am about 5 weeks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I called a midwife/OB mixed practice shortly after my first BFP, and they scheduled me for 8 weeks (6 weeks post confirmed ovulation date).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I saw my midwife for our first prenatal at 7 1/2 weeks, but that was mostly my doing. I have a lot of questions, and wanted to start building our relationship. Otherwise she wouldn't have seen me until around 12 weeks. That's when our next appt is.

It worked out in our favor, because she had just had a family drop off a bunch of baby stuff, and we were the lucky receivers of much of it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was surprised when I called the OB/midwife practice (plus my current OB-GYN), and the earlier I could get an appointment was late January or early February. My last period was Nov. 15 so I'm anxious to confirm! And I don't want to tell anyone until I have the ultrasound. My husband's excited but ok with waiting too. My mom had a lot of miscarriages so I am apprehensive about spreading the news early... :/

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I go for my ultrasound tomorrow. This is the latest single u/s I've had in early pregnancy, I'll be 7w5d. I'm praying that the baby is alive and well. I think I have some PTSD from my MMC...I am going to this u/s alone by choice.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just got back from my first appt with the midwife. This is the earliest I've been in before. I'm 9w5d. It was a long appt (about an hour), mostly because I'm over 35 and we had to go over my medical history, and all the optional testing and concerns, etc that go with being of "advance maternal age". I did get an internal exam and an ultrasound (also the first time I've had an US this early). Aside from hearing and seeing the baby, all the info she went over with me was stuff I already knew. It was totally fun to see the baby moving and hear the nice strong heartbeat though. That was a relief, especially for hubby, who has been a nervous wreck since we found out this surprise baby.

We've told a few people (the kids - because I have been puking and they were worried and our BFFs), but we haven't told any family yet. Hubby wanted to wait until we at least heard the heartbeat and confirmed that I was on target for dates. Fair enough - we've had 3 deaths in the family in the last month and I think he didn't want to get people's hopes up until we had some solid good news. So, now that we have that info, we'll probably start telling a few more people.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Thank you! We have a baby with a heartbeat of 163, measuring only days ahead, so technically right on. Praise God, this is such a relief.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Thank you! We have a baby with a heartbeat of 163, measuring only days ahead, so technically right on. Praise God, this is such a relief.
That's fantastic news! I'm also unassisted but curious how you go about getting a scan? Did you find an ob or MW for now just to do a scan? Dp would like me to get a simple scan this time. He's nervous as this is our 10th and each baby has been healthy with an easy pregnancy and birth. He's worried about odds since everyone is well. I'm also 35 now and my 9th is only 7 months and we conceived on my first fertile cycle. I'd love to help ease his mind because that will ease mine. :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Aaah such wonderful wonderful news 1babysmom! Hooray baby!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
That's fantastic news! I'm also unassisted but curious how you go about getting a scan? Did you find an ob or MW for now just to do a scan? Dp would like me to get a simple scan this time. He's nervous as this is our 10th and each baby has been healthy with an easy pregnancy and birth. He's worried about odds since everyone is well. I'm also 35 now and my 9th is only 7 months and we conceived on my first fertile cycle. I'd love to help ease his mind because that will ease mine. :)
My FIL is an MD here and he schedules them for me (I also get bloodwork done at his clinic if I need it). It's been such a blessing, because I DID see my old OB for some of them (like with my ectopic, then with my pregnancy immediately after that, but there was no way I was continuing to see him...so I burnt that bridge when I just didn't go back!), but outside of doing something like Fetal Fotos, there's not many ways to get an ultrasound unassisted. I've always had at least one u/s each time, only once have I gone without an early one. I'm not sure how I will go about it if we are unassisted and my FIL isn't practicing anymore or is gone.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
And thank you guys. It's SO relieving because I'm not kidding about that PTSD. I had some really strong, painful gas pains last week, and it was TERRIFYING as that was the only real symptom I had with my ectopic (ZERO of the "textbook" symptoms they warn you about), right around the same time, and exactly the same sensation (obviously not as severe, but that's how they started out with my ectopic, too). How does one treat something normal as "normal"...when it was definitely NOT normal at one point?!? So just seeing that baby is located in the right spot has eased my mind SO much...now I don't have to worry that all these essentially normal aches and pains are my other tube about to rupture.

·
Registered
52 Posts
And thank you guys. It's SO relieving because I'm not kidding about that PTSD. I had some really strong, painful gas pains last week, and it was TERRIFYING as that was the only real symptom I had with my ectopic (ZERO of the "textbook" symptoms they warn you about), right around the same time, and exactly the same sensation (obviously not as severe, but that's how they started out with my ectopic, too). How does one treat something normal as "normal"...when it was definitely NOT normal at one point?!? So just seeing that baby is located in the right spot has eased my mind SO much...now I don't have to worry that all these essentially normal aches and pains are my other tube about to rupture.
Yaaaaaay! I love reading posts with good baby news

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yay for good news! I have a 7 week ultrasound scheduled for Thursday. I didn't have one with my first pregnancy until 20 weeks but i am hoping this time around that it will put my mind at ease for the remainder of the first trimester. Maybe because I found out a lot earlier this time, but it feels like its taking forever.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had an ultrasound yesterday at the fertility clinic where i was going. Baby measured right on track at 7 weeks 6 days with a heartbeat of 154 bpm!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts