Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
I wish I had interesting things to say about my race like the previous posters. I have no idea what I am. I'm white. My grandparents were white. I have no idea what nationalities they came from. I have an ordinary maiden name that could have been anything.

I grew up in a racially mixed neighborhood and my high school was about a third white, a third black, a third hispanic. I loved going to my hispanic friends' quincenieras and always wished I could have one. I always wished I understood Spanish. My black friends seemed to speak a different language when they spoke to each other. They had a little bit of sassy sophistication in their voice and in their jargon that wasn't there when they spoke to me.

My husband knows what he is. His grandparents on his mother's side spoke nothing but polish until they were adults. His grandparents on his father's side spoke nothing but Louisiana French until they were adults. Both sides have customs and traditions I love taking part in now.

I know, boohoo, poor little white girl. I've never felt discrimination. I've never felt what it was like for someone to look at me and see race. But there is a really cool thing about being part of a bigger culture that I would have liked to have experienced. If I've ever offended anyone by inquiring about race, I didn't mean to. I'm just facinated by it, and a little envious.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.