Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
7,106 Posts
But who are you? When you look in the mirror, who stares back at you with eyes full of wonder, mystery, and knowledge?
This is a very difficult question for me to answer and I'm not really sure why. I am simple person I think but I am always looking for the unexposed in my life, the stuff under the surface.

If you had to describe yourself, what community, race, or cultural terms would you use for yourself? When other people or institutions in the community describe you, what racial terms do they give for the complexity of your lived experience?
I describe myself as Irish-American. I am proud of my Irish heritage but in America that make me "just white." In some ways I am just fine with that but in other ways I'm honestly not so sure. My family is not "old school" in the USA so I am only the second generation born here on my mom's side and third on my dad's. Being Irish American certainly does have a sub-culture all its own and having others around who were raised by Irish-American parents (and being passed down that Irish "baggage") is helpful.
On the other hand, I am very involved in the Unitarian-Universalistic church and a whole lot of my personal (non-family of origin) identity is wrapped up in that. I am a UU and I don't mind carrying that as a label of surface description.

Do you use the same descriptions as others?
No I think most people who see me think...ahh a white, upper-middle class liberal who has more opinions than she can actually back-up with action...

If not, why do you think there are differences?
I don't look like I am on the inside...my personality is not worn on my sleeve. You can tell who I am by looking at me.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.