Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,362 Posts
But who are you? When you look in the mirror, who stares back at you with eyes full of wonder, mystery, and knowledge?
A young woman (I'll be 23 in a month), with tan skin, brown eyes, and short dark hair. 5'6", 124 lbs., saggy boobs, bags under the eyes, full lips, a mole on one cheek, a crossbite and yellowing teeth.

If you had to describe yourself, what community, race, or cultural terms would you use for yourself?
I'm an anarchist and a feminist. Those things inform everything I do, especially my parenting. I'm a white girl. I'm part Jewish although it's pretty irrelevant, since my Jewish grandparent converted to Christianity and didn't pass any Jewish cultural traditions down to my mom, unfortunately. Although I suspect I have some non-European ancestors on my dad's side, no one's told me anything about it, except that we "maybe have Indian blood" (I'm pretty sure they mean NA). I'm not sure if that's true or if it's a coverup for black. My partner is black, my youngest son is biracial, and I feel our interracialness when we leave the house.

When other people or institutions in the community describe you, what racial terms do they give for the complexity of your lived experience?
Most people call me white, although occasionally people ask if I'm Latina. When I go out with my son, people treat me differently-- black people are more friendly, white people less friendly. I like being seen as a race traitor. I am one.

Do you use the same descriptions as others?
Yes, I think white is very accurate. I don't feel Scottish/French/English/German/Italian/Irish. I'm a white girl with white bread parents. I've never been to Europe or met any European relatives.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.