Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,037 Posts
Wow, this is really tough.

When I look in the mirror, who do I see looking back at me?

I see a woman who is unsure, confused, and insecure most of the time. Someone how doesn't even really know who she is, to be honest. But this is an exercise about race, isn't it? Okay, racially I identify as caucasian. I am a wonderful mix of Italian, German, Scottish, and English. When people ask I usually claim Italian as my main heritage since that is where the majority of my ancestors come from.

This hasn't always been easy though. I grew up in a 99% caucasian area. Most had much lighter skin that I do, and I'm still pretty light. I was taunted because of my darker skin, darker hair, and darker eyes. Even though I was caucasian like the rest, I never really felt like I fit in. Still, I know I had it easier than other races, even though I didn't know it at the time.

When I was a teenager we moved to a different town. This town was much more diverse, thanks in part, I believe, to being home to Wesleyan University. I no longer had the darkest skin in town, yet I still never fit in. Suddenly I was TOO white for the Italian community (and there was a large one). Beat up if ever I claimed Italian as my heritage. Each race seemed to keep to themselves, thogh in retrospect I figure there must have been some cross over, but it didn't seem it at the time. And I didn't belong anywhere.

From what I know now I know I had it easy growing up, but it sure didn't feel like it at the time.

Governmentally I'm "white/caucasian".

As for other people describing me... I really don't know. "That white girl", I suppose. I feel very small and insignificant.

I'm sorry this isn't as eloquent as some will be, but I think I answered the question.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.