Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
42,629 Posts
But who are you? When you look in the mirror, who stares back at you with eyes full of wonder, mystery, and knowledge? If you had to describe yourself, what community, race, or cultural terms would you use for yourself? When other people or institutions in the community describe you, what racial terms do they give for the complexity of your lived experience? Do you use the same descriptions as others? If not, why do you think there are differences?

Let this moment be one where you narrate your story. Tell me about you.

This is harder than I thought it would be. Who am I? I still don't know a lot of the time. While I know this exercise is about race, I find a lot of who I am, who I was, who I am trying to be, who I am trying to escape from is wrapped up in how I was raised, or not raised. I spend a great deal of time and energy trying not to be my mother.

Communities...well, there are church communities. I am a fairly traditional Catholic married to a Lutheran pastor. In trying to dip my toes in both ponds, I often find that I don't really fit into either. I belong to a wonderful Catholic homeschool community. I am a LLL volunteer, and am part of that community as well, although I feel much more isolated since we have moved to this town than I did before. I used to be very active in the theater community. We have a birth circle community I would like to be more active in, but it hasn't really happened. And there's the MDC community, where there are communities within the community--the moderators, the Waldorf homeschool mamas, the Lactivists, the people-I-know-from-another-board-as-well, the Harry Potter fan fiction mamas.

Race and culture...I am white and Irish Catholic. There's not much more to say than that. I don't feel like I have a terribly complex lived experience, other than the fact that I come from a long line of rabid racists and I work hard to look at my own perceptions and challenge the ways I was brought up to think.

I'm not sure if there's a disparity between how I view myself and how others view me. If anything, I think people tend to be more charitable towards me than I am towards myself. I do view myself as someone who is deeply interested and invested in multicultural and anti-bias education and experience. I sometimes feel like this isn't legitimate because I am a white middle-class woman and because I was not brought up this way, but right or wrong, it's something I strive towards and am passionate about.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.