Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
2,933 Posts
This is a hard question for me, and one that has been on my mind a bit lately.
When I look in the mirror, I see a white woman with a few unusual features. Long, straight, reddish brown hair (on my head...it's jet black everywhere else), grey eyes, pale skin.

My mom is Irish/Slavic and my dad is German, but they adopted me when I was 4 months old. I don't know what race my birthparents are, so I don't know what race I am.

One of my first memories was as a 5 year old in kindergarten, we did a show for the parents. Everyone did something that related to their country of origin. It could involve wearing traditional attire, singing a song or anthem, performing a folk dance, or even bringing a traditional dish to share. I must have presented quite a challenge, so I was told I would have to be the narrator because I wasn't from anywhere.

I guess I identify as white, and find community with people who I share beliefs, esperiences or interests with. I'm also starting to see that being an adoptee is a bit of a community and a culture of its own.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.