Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
6,128 Posts
Quote:
But who are you? When you look in the mirror, who stares back at you with eyes full of wonder, mystery, and knowledge? If you had to describe yourself, what community, race, or cultural terms would you use for yourself? When other people or institutions in the community describe you, what racial terms do they give for the complexity of your lived experience? Do you use the same descriptions as others? If not, why do you think there are differences?
I'm a white American living in a multi-ethnic/multi-cultural community.

My ethnicity is French, Acadian, German, Irish, Scottish, and English. I have no ties to any of these countries now and see my self as being American, white, without religion (though raised in a Christian-dominant environment). I think there are many out there like me who saw themselves as "not having a culture" but we do. Dh and I moved to a community where there are many people from all around the world, and it has helped me to see that, in the big picture, my experience is unique, as is everyones. I'm tempted to talk about my culture here, but I'll save that for another exercise if it's addressed.

To answer your question about how people describe me--my neighbors refer to me as being American. On government papers, I mark Caucasian. Sometimes I refer to myself as Anglo-American, or white American. Mostly American.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.