Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
726 Posts
But who are you?
I'm a mother, wife, daughter, sister, and friend to my family; however, since we live in an age of exteriors, I am a woman of color.

When you look in the mirror, who stares back at you with eyes full of wonder, mystery, and knowledge?
What stares back at me is a survivor. Someone who has learned, directly and indirectly, to take care of herself and her interests.

If you had to describe yourself, what community, race, or cultural terms would you use for yourself?
I'm African-American. However, I am a fair-skinned black woman (feel free to add the following terms: high yellow, redbone, shawtey red, whatever). I am a clear blend of ethnicities - Welsh, Irish, African, and Native American. However, that would be in the historical sense since I don't have a Caucasian parent, rather both sides of mixing. I am a former Catholic; though I doubt you can ever really leave Catholicism. Currently, I am leaning towards the Protestant side of Christianity because it has been the most spiritually fulfilling of the two sides.

When other people or institutions in the community describe you, what racial terms do they give for the complexity of your lived experience?
As said before, I am the light-skinned girl, who indirectly through no fault of her own, felt the color complex within her own community and outside of it. I am seen as a non-threat to many whites b/c I come in a taste that's more palatable to them (lighter skin); however, to many in my own community, I am seen as the one on the everlasting pedestal of privilege. Since I'm no threat to the outside world, I can get in without worry. I am the light-skinned girl that, at times, wished she had a white parent, because then my skin tone would have been easier to explain to my darker-skinned sister who I would shout venomously cruel taunts at when she she upsetted me.

Do you use the same descriptions as others? If not, why do you think there are differences?

Yes, I check African-American or Black b/c that's what I am. I don't feel the need to justify it. I belong to a distinguished group.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.