Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going mad here- My DD almost 6 months old has started reaching for food when I am eating and even though I think it is more that she just wants whatever I have like the phone or a toy- I feel bad telling her no everytime I eat. I try to give her a toy but that doenst work. I gave her a cracker- but it was packed full of crap and I feel so bad- I didnt want to strat giving her anything until she was almost a year- should I stand firm and not give her anything or is there something healthy I can give her and not feel so bad. I love to BF and want to keep that as the number 1 food for her. I really dont want to start solids but I always said I would let her lead. I heard at my LL meeting that wheat is bad for a baby- is there any stories I can read on this? And what is a good soft first food? Should I start? STRESS!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
821 Posts
honey its okay that your babe wants food now, even tho ya wish she didnt! my dd wanted food at 4 or 5mo! she was eyeing up my taco, so i mixed up some baby cereal....and she ate it...and i cried.

i've never heard that wheat is "bad", just that it's a common allergen. if you've got allergies in your family, i'd hold off on the wheat tho.

hmmm...first foods... welll, my dd had gerber rice cereal first. i dont reccomend it, cuz it's not whole grain. try some earth's best cereal. i think after cereal, my dd had either bannana or potatoes?

does your dd have teeth? mine didnt have any till she was almost 1yr. (i think).

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No teeth yet- I will go to the healthfood store today and see if they have some healthy food for her. I feel like I want to cry too... How did this happen? How did she get so old so fast? So very sad- but so exciting too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My dd is 7.5 months. Our ped wanted us to start her on solids just after her 6 mo checkup. I wasn't going to push it, but she seemed interested so we tried it. The first few times she didn't quite have the hang of it. Lots came back out, but I'm pretty sure it was because she wasn't used to using her tongue that way, rather than because she didn't like it, because she kept opening her mouth for more.

I did try rice cereal first, but I thought that was too blah. A friend had a great list of first foods and how to prepare them yourself, so we made sweet potatoes/yams, then introduced avocados a week later.

I made the yams (PM me if you want more details) and put them in ice cube trays filled about 1/2 to 3/4. Once they were frozen, I put the cubes in a baggie. I just mashed the avocado and froze it the same way. She's also had some banana - both mashed and a whole chunk in a baby-safe feeder (which was cute to watch - kind of like her own ice cream cone!). I expressed some breast milk into the food to thin it out when I was heating it until she was able to handle a thicker texture.

Those were easy, but I've seen jarred food that was organic and didn't have any additives except water, which I'm thinking about using once my freezer stash runs out.

DD eats one or two cubes most days, which isn't a lot. Breast milk is still her main food source, and she hasn't lost any interest in it, thankfully, since I'm hoping to keep it up for at least another year (knock wood!).

So do what you feel is best, but don't be scared that introducing a few healthy, safe foods slowly and in moderatino will be the end of your nursing relationship.

Sorry for the length of the post - I'm new to this!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was really stressing about starting solids and we didn't even start offering until 8-1/2 months. DD is 10-1/2 months now and still only eats about a teaspoon of food along with a bite or two of a fruit a day. She still nurses like crazy. I was just so worried that she would love solids more than her boobie juice. No need for concern there!!

I started with avocado then sweet potato and I am now slowly introducing different kinds of fruit. I skipped cereal altogether (esp storebought). I didn't see the need for it. Just go really slow. There's absolutely no hurry!!

These links are great. They will give you food ideas and what to expect when starting solids: Good Luck!!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030100.asp

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
My baby was 5 months when she started to really want foods. The first thing she tasted was an Organic teddy bear cookie (I know!!!!, but she only touched it to the end of her tongue, didn't eat it)

After that and since, I don't give her anything that I deam "bad". I.e. over-processed, over-cooked foods w/ added sugar, salt, hydrogenated oils, refined flour...

Every morning I have Ezekiel bread w/ almond butter, and I share it w/ her. Of course, I put honey on my part, and we share banana. Ezekiel bread is made out of sprouted whole wheat and is not nearly as allergenic as pure ww bread.

We have a huge garden, so she's lucky to have all that good stuff. Basically, I feed her mostly fresh fruits (loves tomatoes, grapes, plums, peaches, babanas...)and veggies (avocados, cucumbers, big carrots, broccoli, anything else... raw is best), with the occasional cereal (homemade). I have the book Healing w/ whole foods, and in there, they state that the best things for babies to eat after breastmilk are fresh juices made of carrot, celery, beet, and homemade hempmilk and almond milk.(Just soak the seeds/nuts overnight blend in food procesor, strain and serve)

I don't puree her food because she doesn't like like it, and she prefers to eat big chunks. She's never choked and I have confidance that she never will. I just give her a whole tomatoe or whatever, and she sucks out the insides, quite funny actually.

Last thing I want to say is that I think that "baby cereals" are way over-rated (even if they are organic). I heard that they were introduced because ABM-fed babies were lacking some nutrients, so they started adding them to pre-cooked dried baby cereal. I think that the baby will get all the iron they need from your milk and eating fresh fruits and vegetables that contains natural vit-C to help the iron be absorbed more easily.

Anyways, that's my opinion, and I hope it is of some help.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Thanks, I have been so worried- I think I am feeling like she is growing so fast and I want to make it stop!
: But I know I cant- It is just the next step- in lots of steps!

I love to hear how other moms handled this and keep them coming! I dont care if they are long, I need all the info I can get. Also I have been wonder how to make almond milk- I really really want to try it. It sounds so yummy- I am a cow milk freak and Iwant to back off from it becasue I know it is not good for me- and I dont get the organic kind so I know it really is not good for me. How much almonds to how much water? does it taste watery? Okay- the frest fruit and veggie season is over here now- we are going to be getting snow next week! but I will go to the co/op and see what they have. I could start with yams or something I know is "in season"

I still think it is more she just wants whatever we have not that she is hungry- but I want to have healthy things to hand her not the crappy salt riden crackers her dad keeps giving her- yuck!

Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I felt really sad too the 1st time dd had solid food, but now I find it rather fun. I skipped cereals altogether and she started on pumpkin and we went from there. She now has a variety of veges and fruit and also some yoghurt. I'll introduce cereal soon (sher's 7 1/2 months, fully breastfed). I think if your babe is showing more than a passing interest in your food then she is probably ready for a taste.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
I you want to make almond milk, there is no great recipe that I can think of. I just soak about 2 cups(?) of almonds in water overnight, strain off the water, add 4 (?) cups fresh water and blend it up in the blender, and drain into a container that your going to store it in. The more almonds you put in it, the thicker it will be. Don't add sugar or anything, it's yummy on it's own. And waste not want not, use the pulp in cookies or muffins etc.

By the way, salt is very hard on peoples kidneys, especially babies. I'd stay away from the crackers, for her sake.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
We started DD on the Gerber cereal but as most will tell you that was mistake. she got terribley constiapted. I never gave it to her again whch really irritates my MIL. (That is just a perk
) We moved onto veggies from Eath's Best and also used Gerber Tender Harvest. Anyway she is 11 mos old (tomorrow) and she eats solids randomly. Somedays she is all about solids and some days she just enjoys spitting them to watch them fly. I don't think she spits them b/c she doesn't like it b/c it is generally food she has already eaten and liked. It is just the fun of watching it fly out. (I find it a bit amusing myself)If I had it to over I wouldn't buy the jar stuff but I would go right for the stuff that she is interested in. Heaven'smomma I am glad to see someone else lets their baby chomp off chunks of food b/c it is so hard for me to to stop DD from doing that. and I hate to make everything so tiny that she can't use her little teeth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.