Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to start my baby on solids soon, but I don't want to go the conventional route of rice cereal because I want to provide complex carbohydrates instead of just simple carbohydrates. Do you have recommendations and recipes on first foods that are both yummy and iron-rich? Bananas and avocadoes satisfy the yummy but not the iron.

I love quinoa, by the way, but I think a 6mo old could choke on the grains, no?

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

You can definitely make your own baby cereal out of whole grains - like quinoa - simply by putting a small amount in your blender and blending it to a powder. Then take a small amount out and place in boiling water to cook. Store the uncooked portion in the refrigerator for several days and use as needed. Mixing grains and legumes will give you a complete protein. I learned this stuff from a great book called "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron. I definitely recommend it for lots of nutrition information and instructions on making *all* of your own baby food. Simply and inexpensively with like, NO waste.

I'll go get the "recipe" for porridge...

OK, here goes: Measure one cup water and put it on to boil. Meanwhile, put 1/4 cup whole grains, or whole grain + legume mixture in your blender. (Use slightly less of grains like quinoa or millet as they are so tiny they actually give you more volume.) Blend for a full two minutes for a beginning eater. Turn the boiling water down to the lowest setting and sprinkle in the powdered grains. Place a lid on and cook for 10 minutes on the lowest setting, stirring frequently.

That would be a nice way to start her out with an iron-rich food. Do check out the book though - I still use it with my toddler.

Krista

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Don't forget to rinse the quinoa first or it will be bitter. I feed my almost 8 month old quinoa mixed with fruits and vegis and he loves it. I just cook it like you would rice and run it through the baby food mill with a little liquid. Sometimes I put it through 2xs for a smoother texture.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess3_2005
Don't forget to rinse the quinoa first or it will be bitter. I feed my almost 8 month old quinoa mixed with fruits and vegis and he loves it. I just cook it like you would rice and run it through the baby food mill with a little liquid. Sometimes I put it through 2xs for a smoother texture.
All of these are great ideas! Thanks.

What's the "baby food mill"? Blender? Food processor? Coffee grinder? Something else?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
What about lentils? If legumes are okay, lentils would be a good choice...red and yellow lentils, especially, are very soft and if cooked long enough will make a yummy porridge (think Indian dal, without the spices).

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here are some easy whole grain cereal recipes - both millet and quinoa are good sources of iron.

Ground Rice, Barley, Quinoa, or Millet Cereal

In dry skillet over medium heat, toast 1 to 2 cups brown rice, barley, quinoa, or millet for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grains should begin to pop. Cool completely. Store in covered jar.

To serve: Grind desired amount of toasted grain to fine powder in seed grinder or blender. Whisk together 1 part cereal powder and 6 parts water. Bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until soft and smooth.

Variation: For the rest of the family, use 1 part cereal to 4 parts water. Cook 15 to 20 minutes.

Tip: To heat up refrigerated leftovers, mix desired amount of food with boiling water. The water will thin it out and bring the food to room temperature.

You can also cook millet or quinoa with extra water and then puree it in a blender until smooth.

As for lentils, I would wait until 8 or 9 months as legumes are pretty hard to digest. And really, for a breastfed baby, you don't need to be worrying about iron until that time.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My life is WAY too busy to have a seperate meal for my ds! He eats what he can of what we eat. He mostly breastfeeds, though, even at 11 mos. Sometimes, I'll give him yogurt if he can't chew what we are having. He has never had rice cereal
:

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
In India they give babys yellow lentils that are very mild and stomach friendly (moong dal)

You might want to give it a try.

I also cooked oats for my daughter, where I come from rice cereal is unheard of

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.