Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>The title says it all, except that this program is definitely not "Without Tears".</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do wonder if DD1 would have difficulty with any system since her problem is figuring out how to size her letters in relationship to various lined paper that is formatted differently.  No matter how narrow the line she insists that the tallest letters shouldn't go above the top line.  Last night the lines on her homework were about a 1/4 of an inch apart but it actually seemed narrower since the black lines were relatively thick.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>No matter how many times I explained it she couldn't or wouldn't grasp that she needed to imagine or visualize the dashed line above the two solid lines.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I actually formatted the four different types of lines I've seen in recent memory, side by side, so she could try and learn to relate them to each other.  To use roads as an analogy these are the lines I formatted:  1)  single lane, 2) double lane divided by the dashed line, 3) the double lane with no dividing line and 4) the single lane with a dashed line above it, creating a slightly wider lane than the one with the solid lines below (as with HWOT).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>In my desperation I am actually considering trying to make a dry-erase mat showing each of these various line styles so she can better see how they relate to each other and practice on all four styles at the same time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>That will require a trip to my local office super store to see the largest sized paper they can laminate for me.  And lots of shopping around for lined paper in that size with lines faint enough that I can overwrite them with a Sharpie.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Unless someone here has any better suggestions.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>TIA,</p>
<p>~CathMac</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts