Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....on my other mainstream board, the first induction is tomorrow. Another lady is having a c-section on Friday (provided the amnio says the lungs are mature). Both are 36 weeks.

I have no idea why she's having an induction based on what she wrote "I lost 3 lbs, my bp was a little high for m 110/70 I am usually 80/50 always."

Let the cycle of inductions begin.....

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkOnDemand
ooooo! Pitocin!!! WAHOOO!!! Sounds like a day of fun for me!

do people just not realize that really that is not a fun way to get babies?
That's what the epi is for silly!!!! :p

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well, I feel I should add, before I get in trouble for belittiling people's choices, I was induced (water broken) at 40+ weeks and I did have pitocin and an epidural.

I really wish I had made some alternate choices that first go around though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by leosmama20
Well, I feel I should add, before I get in trouble for belittiling people's choices, I was induced (water broken) at 40+ weeks and I did have pitocin and an epidural.

I really wish I had made some alternate choices that first go around though.

I feel the same way about making different choices the first time. I had an epidural and they jacked me up on pitocin after that (Logan had decels each time they administered it so ultimately they quit). I just do not understand a 36 week induction. *shakes head*

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
With my first I went into labor naturally, it wasn't going as fast as it should
so they gave me pitocin and I had heard it can make the contractions painful so I requested an epidural.. which didn't work so YAY it was SO much fun having artificial contractions with no pain relief. I wish I could do it again. :LOL:

I remember thinking why would ANYONE want to have a homebirth. LMAO And just think, I still thought that way 13 months ago!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did I mention that 9 out of the last 10 women to give birth on my mainstream board (third tri, not just July) were induced?

It is ridiculous. None of them were induced for being 'overdue', btw. These were all inductions for things like 'the baby is big' and the wonderful 'well, she is full term now, and the doctor feels she is ready to come out.' Oh and one woman had an induction because she 'is a planner'. May I use the roll eyes? May I?

Do you know why I still read that board? Because it makes me more and more determined NOT to go that route.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Just had to add that I was induced because my water was leaking and dd was in distress. But, I do know a couple of people who were induced just because their babes were a little late. Healthy, but late. Weird country we live in.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have read several posts for people who are being induced days before their due dates because they are excellent candidates for induction because they are dialating. Wow, a woman dialting who is due to give birth in a month. My heavens. LOL I mean really! REALLY!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Hi ladies!

I don't mod this board but I saw this thread and wanted to give y'all a little refresher on the User Agreement, specifically:

Quote:
You are expected to avoid the following when you post:
5. Posting to invite members to other boards for debate purposes or posting about discussions at other boards. This is to maintain and respect the integrity of our own and other communities.
http://www.mothering.com/mdc/mdc_useragreement.html

I know it is hard when we see others making choices that we know are not wise. I found personally that I had to just stop going to other parenting boards or my head might have exploded.

Happy birthing mamas!

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is interesting. Stay with me, I've got a ramble on this topic.

Let me first say before I go into this that I'm a fan of as natural of an approach as possible and personally plan to avoid induction at all costs. I have a couple of close friends who had natural births/homebirths recently and they are my heros. I think mamas need to be well-educated on the kind of birth experience they want, take good care of themselves (although I just ate a dairy queen blizzard-ooops)
and do their research so they can't be talked into interventions/tests etc. that they don't want or that don't make sense.

That being said, here is another perspective- just to add it.

I work in the healthcare industry (although in an office type job) so I get to see a lot of what goes on behind the scenes. It seems to me that docs try to basically do 2 things. They try to minimize risk (ie: poor patient outcomes) and they try to maximize patient happiness. When they have patients lobbying them for an induction, a brand name drug or what have you, they tend to give in unless there is a risk reason not to. They get happier patients that way.

Some docs make the decisions they make (such as induce at 40 weeks) because they feel that the risk of having a baby that is not ready to come out is really low but at the same time they can make the mom who has been lobbying them for an induction happy by doing an induction.

On the other hand, a mom who really wants a natural child birth and is against induction usually wont get pressure from the doc to get one until she goes 41+ weeks and the OB starts getting nervous about the risk issues again with declining efficiency of the placenta, etc. etc.

The weird thing about being an OB is that it is one of the highest areas for lawsuits and because of that the malpractice insurance is super expensive and can even be unobtainable in some geographic areas. In my view this has resulted in OBs practicing by the statistics and trying to cover their behinds in any way possible. I also know of a few OBs who have quit their practices because of lawsuits and poor outcomes of various kinds. They also have to deal with frustrating moms who smoke, drink, do drugs etc. during their pregnancies. In some ways, I don't know how they do it.

All that being said, let me throw out one quick story. One of the women who works with me has a daughter-in-law who was due yesterday. Her son is getting married this weekend. The daughter-in-law was really planning/hoping to have her baby before this much awaited wedding. When the daughter-in-law went in for her appointment yesterday (on her due date) begging to be induced, the doctor told her "no" because the baby hadn't "dropped" into the pelvis yet. This was a sign to the OB that maybe the baby wasn't ready yet. He actually said to her, "see you next week". The mom is not happy but this seems to me to be a case where the OB is doing the right thing despite much pressure from mama.

OK, enough rambling on this. I just think that there are good OBs and OBs that aren't so good... but any way you look at it- it's a hard job to keep everyone healthy and happy at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts