Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. - City officials have banned charitable groups from feeding homeless people in parks downtown, arguing that transients who gather for weekly meals create safety and sanitary problems for businesses.

Yahoo News link

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Well it is city property. I think if the city was concerned about it they would just require that these orgs sign up for a permit, the city gets revenue and the homeless get food. I'm SURE that a church would be more than willing to open it's doors for this cause.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
They don't want the homeless people gathering at the parks fo rfood because they are afraid it will bother tourists. Oh, and families in town. Right
: Can't let htose gamblers know that there are homeless people here! It's insane. It's a misdemeanor to feed a homeless person! WTF?!

I think about New York City, the times I've been. Homeless people, pnahandlers, etc... And there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people visiting htere?

Sorry, I am probably not making much sense or contributing in a useful way. I live here and this pisses me off to no end.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You might be surprised at how few churches would be willing to do something like this. Some in our area will contribute food to shelters,etc. but they will not hold any soup kitchen like thing on church property. I've heard some of their board members say it's because of liability to the church should a person get ill or choke on the food. One claimed they'd loose daycare buisness if parents thought their children would be around 'those' people. I personally think that some of them just don't want to run the risk of their pretty church getting messed up.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prettypaws
You might be surprised at how few churches would be willing to do something like this. Some in our area will contribute food to shelters,etc. but they will not hold any soup kitchen like thing on church property. I've heard some of their board members say it's because of liability to the church should a person get ill or choke on the food. One claimed they'd loose daycare buisness if parents thought their children would be around 'those' people. I personally think that some of them just don't want to run the risk of their pretty church getting messed up.
Gotcha, I never thought of that. We have a huge homeless shelter here and one soup kitchen that serves the city, but we only have 170 K people so that's all we need.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

I find it interesting that both of these towns rely heavily on tourism. I guess hungy people don't look good on post cards.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!

Can't have those homeless people getting in the way of a good time in fantasy-land!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
One thought on the church issue: man power is a huge issue for churches. It's hard to get people to volunteer for a friggin' hour in the church nursery or to teach Sunday School, let alone help to hand out meals on a regular basis.

Not saying this is an excuse, but it is a concern.

Jenn

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I live between Daytona Beach and Orlando and was kind of surprised when this stuff got passed. Of course it's primarily because of the tourists. However, I don't know about Vegas, but there are TONS of homeless in this area. And it's not because of lack of services in this area - lots and lots of homeless intentionally relocate to Central Florida. I think it's a combination of all the tourists and the weather.

Daytona Beach recently (in the last couple of years) passed a city ordinance on where they could and couldn't panhandle. Some of the major intersections used to have so many panhandlers that it caused some serious traffic problems.

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
I just can't believe they can make it illegal to feed human beings. If they were passing laws against feeding animals there would be an even bigger uproar... Human beings... who cares.
:

Really, it keeps going through my head... illegal to feed someone. Isn't that like the state commiting some type of crime... by making it illegal they are in a sense condemning people to starve/malnourish... Ugh.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Quote:

You might be surprised at how few churches would be willing to do something like this. Some in our area will contribute food to shelters,etc. but they will not hold any soup kitchen like thing on church property. I've heard some of their board members say it's because of liability to the church should a person get ill or choke on the food. One claimed they'd loose daycare business if parents thought their children would be around 'those' people. I personally think that some of them just don't want to run the risk of their pretty church getting messed up.
I can see the daycare point. Not because of the "those" people issue, but because I don't think you should be inviting a bunch of strange adults onto the same property as a day care/school type situation.

For example. Weight Watchers decided to meet at the same time in the same building as my DD's Girl Scout troop. I was not happy with this because 1. You don't know who might be at that meeting. 2. I believed the increase in traffic in the parking lot was a potential danger to the girls, and 3. they were forever being shushed by strangers who couldn't hear. (The room was divided by those plastic type wall/curtain type things that are built into the floor and ceilings of schools and or churches. You just pull it close and instant wall. But you can still hear through it.) In the end, the GS changed days because well, Weight Watchers was paying to use the building and the GS were getting to use it for free.

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahNH
They don't want the homeless people gathering at the parks fo rfood because they are afraid it will bother tourists.

tourists in Vegas don't go to parks

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I Know! The whole thing is so ridiculous!

One thing I heard(and I don't remembe rwhere, sorry, this is being talked about a lot right now) was the excuse that 'well they shouldn't be counting on pther people ot take care of them that way when they would be eligible for assistance'
:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts