Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has come up a few times in discussion, and even with our ex-ped when he was trying to tell us that our three month old son's foreskin was too tight (grabbed it and retracted while I was telling him not to
: ). I was under the impression that my son gets erections all of the time. Why all of a sudden would a night erection in the teen/preteen years be drastically different enough to cause pain and rip adhesions. Our ped said that his first erection with a tight foreskin would be painful and I wanted to say, "well, he's already had his first erection and seemed fine with it."

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your Ped is misinformed. If anything, *his* forceable retraction will cause more harm. Don't let him near your sons penis ever again. As your son grows and begins to explore himself (believe me, I've got 2 boys
) he will naturally loosen his foreskin so that somehwere between his 3rd and 7th ( I think this age guesstimate is accurate, correct me if I'm wrong
) year, he should be able to retract.

Of course it looks *tight*, it darn well should be to protect his sensitive glands from exsposure.

I'm sure your son has all kinds of erections
Mine get them at almost every diaper change! Your ds is a little young so maybe you're not noticing them as much at this point. Not to worry, his time will come

·
Registered
466 Posts
My DH has very "tight" foreskin. He cannot fully retract it when erect.

When I first met him we discussed a little snip to make it bigger or something. My mother suggested it (we are a very close family and discuss such things). It was something one of my uncles had had done with success for him.

He never had painful erections, but he did have a very painful first time. He got talking to a friend (with the help of alcohol) a few years ago and they realised that both had painful first times and the same issue.

But over time, I learned that DH liked his penis just the way it was and I dropped it completely. DH actually usually has sex with his foreskin not retracted. I found this weird at first - but in every other way he experiences things the same as my previous partners. In our 5 years of using condoms this was never and issue - once we gave up the BC and started trying to get pregnant his foreskin started to retract during sex, painful at first, but after a few months it became less of an intense sensation for him and more enjoyable.

Again - I think it's always best to leave it alone. He can make his own choices regarding this as an adult. Normal seems different for everyone anyhow.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Just becasue a baby has tight foreskin (um aren't most of them tight/adhered anyway) doesn't mean during the natural process of retraction your son's foreskin won't loosen up (that is the process afterall). Your doctor is ignorant about foreskin obviously. And our baby boys have been having erection since they were in utero.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I am totally lost here.What did the doctor try to scare you about?
:

Our son has had erections since birth and older he gets, more he likes them
. He does not retract at all and is almost 5 years old.

For heaven's sake these stupid doctors.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Quote:
For heaven's sake these stupid doctors.

A baby's foreskin is more than "tight" it's adhered, which is perfectly normal! Boys have erections from shortly after birth on. Your doc is hopelessly misinformed about intactness, please don't let him touch your son's penis ever again.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
: what everyone else has said. Natrual retraction can happen at any time thru childhood up until adulhood in some cases.

If a man has a tight foreskin simple stretching along with the use of steroid cream will fix the issue 99.9% of the time. If he dosnt have scare tissue due to repeat forced retraction.

From what I have read it is completely normal for some intact men to have a bit of pain with there firsts intercourse. There could be a little bit of seperation that still hasnt happened and it is all new as well.

My ds has had erections since birth (and on many u/s scans of boys they have them in utero as well) I dont know why Dr. would think that all the sudden at X age it would be more painful. Erections play a role as well in the natural seperation process just like self exploration does. It is how nature works.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
My ds has had erections since birth (and on many u/s scans of boys they have them in utero as well) I dont know why Dr. would think that all the sudden at X age it would be more painful. Erections play a role as well in the natural seperation process just like self exploration does. It is how nature works.
This was my real question. Is the ped so uninformed that he thinks that a boy doesn't get an erection until he hits puberty?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheacoby View Post
Just becasue a baby has tight foreskin (um aren't most of them tight/adhered anyway) doesn't mean during the natural process of retraction your son's foreskin won't loosen up (that is the process afterall). Your doctor is ignorant about foreskin obviously. And our baby boys have been having erection since they were in utero.

:
...ahem, DUH.

its amazing how little men know about penises!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
This was my real question. Is the ped so uninformed that he thinks that a boy doesn't get an erection until he hits puberty?
especially a MALE doctor.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lastrid View Post
That's how I can usually tell he's going to pee.

And that's something that young boys can do that adults can't...and that is urinate with an erection (as you diaper-changers well know..!). I believe this "capability" goes away at puberty, when the prostrate begins to function, and the sphincter muscle between the bladder and prostrate becomes active.

Sexually mature males have two kinds of erections, those when sexually aroused, and those several nighttime erections that occur during REM sleep. Many men awake with an erection and a very few may be able to urinate with the erection, but most cannot until it subsides.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.