Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My baby is 5 1/2 months old and today was the first day of my first period postpartum My milk supply has felt very low all day and babe has looked dissatisfied. Will it naturally increase again tomorrow or the next day?

I always feel very worried/inept when my milk supply is low. Babe is on the lower end of the "normal" weight range and often gets the "Isn't she a small baby" comments.

I already eat oatmeal for breakfast and drink nursing-tea.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I used to have the same issue early on and it would last the whole time I had my period. I found that nursing tea worked against me in these times. I did oatmeal and fenugreek capsules. You'll wind up smelling like syrup and lower your intake of the fenugreek towards the end of your period. For me when I was done bleeding my milk would just fill up and I found too much fenugreek led to engorgement at the end of my period.

I was working and needed to be able to pump too so lll recommended 3 1500 mg's 3 x a day. Once I was done working and didn't need to pump I used the same dosage with out any worries.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
My supply bounced back within a couple days, and then I got a bit of a bump around when I ovulated, mostly noticeable because I was pumping at work (not sure I would've noticed at home). I was still on leave when my cycles first started (at 2 and 3 mos post-partum) so I just stuck it out and the extra nursing likely helped return things to normal.

It would be hard to have a small baby, I had big babies and there really is a bias toward big babies--but I wasn't doing anything special, this was just their size. There's stuff you can do to problem-shoot if you think there _may_ be something going on, but it seems most likely that your baby is the size she's supposed to be. Think of yourself laughing (nicely) at the folks (like me) who are carrying around huge toddlers who don't want to be in their slings anymore, and your little girl is light and easy to carry.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Taking a cal-mag supplement in the second half of your cycle can help to prevent this supply dip. For most mamas this works quite well.

I know what it's like to have a small baby and supply worries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.