Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I only bleed for 2 weeks after I had DS. I started spotting again at 6 weeks pp, and now is a full blown period. I am breastfeeding only, and I NEVER had a period on my own before I had DS. I thought of I was breastfeeding I would not get one?? I have cramps when I nurse DS that hurt worse then labor did. Is this something I should be concerned with? Call my OB about?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Mine returned at 7 weeks pp, despite exclusively breastfeeding...and I mean bf all the time!
: My midwife said it's hormone-related. You might just run it by your OB just for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
You could also try charting with your first morning temps (hard with a newborn, I know...) and see what's going on. You'll see clear shifts, probably, if you really are ovulating this early.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well the secret ("They" say) is based on whether your baby ever goes over the magical 4 hours without breastfeeding. This 4hr could be at night or during the day.... but when there is a 4hr stretch it is the allowance to let a period start up.
Perhaps this is a possibilty in your case.
Tricia

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I breastfed my son exclusively, no supplements, co-slept, he nursed whenever he wanted to and rarely went over two hours between a feeding, but my period came back at 8 weeks pp. Its rare, but it happens.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Happened to me after my first too. The longest I have gone after birth before getting af is 10 mos. Even this last time where the baby wouldn't be with anyone but me and nurses sometimes every hour.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I also got mine about 6 weeks after giving birth, although they've been light and irregular. But I was so looking forward to a longer break.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I was in your shoes, including NO periods on my own prior to getting pg. We had to do injectable fertility meds to get me to ovulate. I was exclusively nursing TWINS, and my first PP period was when they were 10 weeks old.

Word to the wise...

I got pg again when my twins were 4 months old after my 2nd PP period. NEVER thought that would happen, but it did.

With my third, again exclusively BF, my first PP period was at 8 weeks. We were *very* careful that time around, as #4 would have likely sent me over the edge with 15 month old twins and a 2 month old.
:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I guess I'll have to take your word (their) for it that it's rare. Almost everyone I know gets their period by 12 weeks. I and my sister both got it at 6 weeks pp - with all four collective babies.
I only know 2 or 3 women who actually don't get their period past 6mos.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I have exclusively breastfed all my children on demand (which usually means every 2-3 hours, including at nights) and for every single one, I have gotten my period back by 8 wks pp. Between 6 & 8 is normal for me. I also begin ovulating right away.

So the only "break" I get is when I am pregnant.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
yes unfortunately my pp af came back at 9 weeks and 11 weeks respectively. I was cosleeping, ebf, no paci with the first one..etc. And still I got my period back!!
It was infuriating!

I have since learned that if you are low on progesterone, that can happen. So after you have the baby, if you'll take sarsparilla and ginseng, it will keep it from coming back so soon. It will boost your milk suppply, and keep your hormones stable.

I;m gonna try it next time around!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
How about 4 weeks PP while BF'ing? I've been bleeding pretty lightly since being home from the hospital, but yesterday it was like I had full blown period! Now today "so far", not much. I didn't do anything strenuous yesterday...??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts