Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my first prenatal visit today with my doc. I love him, he's nice, kind, amazing with Zoe (and has been since her birth!), great bedside manner, and cute to boot

I had booked two appointments, one last week and one this week. The one last week was just to get bloodwork done and an early dating u/s because of my miscarriage in early March. The doc then (I would like to call him Dr. Twit from now on) told me that the bloodwork was unnecessary and then made me feel guilty about asking for an ultrasound (although he did book me one and said it was a good idea). Dr. Twit is just that... a twit. My doc (Hot Doc, anyone?
) sent me for bloodwork today and was pleased that I came in last week to set up an ultrasound. I am so happy he is so supportive. He's going to follow me until I transfer my care to a midwife (max 18-20 weeks). I almost wish he could follow my whole pregnancy, but I know that he's not an OB, nor does he have any OB training.

I forgot how much "free stuff" they give you at the doc's office when you're pregnant. The only thing I really wanted was a book about childrearing that the government of Nova Scotia gives out (Loving Care or something like that), but ended up with everything but. I wish they wouldn't give you the Sears Baby Catalogue.. just makes me feel like I should be buying stuff. I don't NEED anything except diapers and clothes. We already have everything, and really didn't need that much in the first place. Just somewhere for her to sleep (which ended up being my bed
) and something to wear. Oh, and formula coupons in the Nestle "baby bump" book

Oops... I rambled.

Has anyone else gone for a prenatal?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I didn't really have a prenatal, but did a confirmation of pregnancy. I also sat down for a long while and talked about possible delivery options with the midwives who were with me during Gideon's pregnancy and birth. I will be having care with them. They went ahead and sent me for an ultrasound for size and dates since I asked. I'm actually hoping to find out whether or not it's twins.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I haven't gone for my first prenatal yet, but I scheduled it yesterday for May 5.

I'm happy your doc is so awesome. Good doctors are difficult to come by.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I go for my "confirmation" next Monday the 13th. I was planning on a home birth this time but unfortunantly will not get to have one due to $ issues. So I reluctantly called to set up an app with an ob.
I am hoping for an ultrasound but am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My first appointment is a week from today (April 15, file for extension day). I think they'll take some blood and such, and they also have a required two hour class about ... well, I'm not sure what it will be about. But I'm really looking forward to my first ultrasound on May 13th. Feels so far away!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VegMomma View Post

P.S. homestyle! We're vegan too!

... one reason I like my doctor (gyn) is that she has treated me with respect when I told her about my dietary choices. (That hasn't always been true with doctors I've worked with in the past.) I hope her perspective remains positive as we start the prenatal care stuff!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
My first appointment is the 21st. I had a urine and blood test monday (the urine was positive, I'm waiting for the beta levels...she said by noon today...it's a quarter to two!)

I'm really excited about the first prenatal. I want an ultrasound because my last pregnancy was ectopic and I want to SEE this little one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.