Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been able to get a midwife as of yet. I am on every waiting list in our city and surrounding area, and I won't give up hope. In the meantime, I am going the "traditional" route.
Unfortunately, where I am, that means hospital w/ no water birth.... Blech!
Tomorrow is my first appt with one of the team of docs who will be overseeing my care. I am very nervous! I don't know how open they are or progressive. There are some things that I want to ensure they are good with (for example alternative birth positions, not offering meds, etc) but I also don't want to be pegged as a difficult First time Mom!
Why can't midwifery care be easy to access everywhere?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Proxi, you can always labor at home as long as you feel good about it with a doula on hand. First time labors tend to be long - I remember my first midwife saying to expect a 24hr labor for the first one. If a water labor is important to you, you could always set this up at home, too.

Good Luck with your appointment today. I've found that a lot of docs have very quick appointments and will at least initially agree to everything and anything or give you a "we'll talk later". But I have had that with midwives, too! For instance I had asked about induction and how they would let me go past my due date, and she said not to worry, and said something about 42 weeks. I did not worry until my appointment at 38w 4d, where I got a lengthy speech about overcoming my inner fear of induction and that I should consider coming in to a stress test - I had a very uneventful normal healthy pregnancy with a healthy baby. She was the only homebirth midwife in a 60mi radius and came highly recommended. But apparently is very nervous when the due date approaches and baby measures large.

I'd say don't worry about being informed and asking questions, go for a gut feeling and trust your instincts :)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Don't give up on finding a midwife if homebirth is important to you!

If you do go the hospital / OB route remember to research the hospital and not just the medical practice - while the doctors are the ones that will pull the testing, induction, etc cards, once you're in labor it's the nurses who will be by your side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts