Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just made my first batch of kraut using the free tutorial from Wild Fermentation.
eat.gif
I added in garlic and whole mustard and did the leaves on top to keep the stuff from floating up method. So far so good!

However, the mix is a little scanty on the cabbage juice- Can I use Bubbies Pickle juice to top it off? The label says just salt and water and Bubbies are so yummy! I was thinking that perhaps the pickle juice would act as a starter for the kraut brine.

Any feedback? BTDT?

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have used Bubbies pickle juice to store my pickles (for one reason or another I did not want to reuse the original brine that turned the cuces into pickles.) and so just cut up my brined pickles and put them in a jar of Bubbies pickle juice. Yum! I don't know about a 'starter' since I don't use a starter. Why do you need a starter?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just thought it might kickstart the brine kwim? I did end up using it because the cabbage has expanded from about halfway up a gallon jar to more like two thirds, and the cabbage juice wasn't covering it. It smells good and has some bubbles going! I hope it's tasty coz a gallon of yucky cabbage would be a hard sell to my family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.