Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DSD is having her very first friend spend the night- she has attended one slumber party in the past, earlier this year, and came away from it thinking they are the Best Thing Ever. I'm not willing to go the whole hog yet and have a ton of first graders running around but am letting her have the little girl down the block stay over this Friday. Her friend is a year younger, and has never slept away from home before, so her mom and I are both thinking this will probaby end right at or a while after bedtime... and while we're both fine with that... DSD won't be.<br><br>
She is very set on the idea of a friend spending the night, sharing her bed, and having pancakes in the morning... and it HAD to be this friend in particular... not one of her other friends more likely to make it through the night. Her friend's mom has offered to bring her back over in the morning for breakfast if she doesn't make it through, which is great... but to H, the main part is the bed sharing. She co-slept with her dad and I until last summer, and transitioned SO easily to her own room... and now I think she has built up the excitement of having someone to sleep with again for a night to epic proportions. She will most likely LOSE it if she falls asleep only to be woken up to a crying friend wanting to go home.<br><br>
I also offered up the idea of her dad sleeping in the guest room and the girls sleeping in our room with me on the couch we have in there. I thought sleeping with a "mom" would make her friend a little more comfortable... no go. She insists that if they sleep with a parent it "doesn't count."<br><br>
I feel like this is probably something we'll just have to deal with, and there's really no advice I could be given that could help things... I've tried my hardest to gently talk to H about how sometimes sleepovers don't work out, but she isn't willing to entertain that thought at all. Her friend insists that she will definitely make it through the night and that, "Maybe I can just spend the whole weekend until school Monday." So... do I just deal with it when/if it occurs? I fully realize this could work out perfectly, but I'd like to go into it with some sort of game plan. Is there anything I can do to make it more likely that her friend will stay the whole night?<br><br>
Sorry this is so long... this is a new experience for both of us!

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
bribery and corruption.<br><br>
however if the child isnt ready nothing else would work.<br><br>
the thing you could do is make it as fun as you can for the child.<br><br>
do stuff they cannot/dont do at home.<br><br>
here are some of hte things my dd enjoys.<br>
- movies<br>
- camping out in teh living room and sleeping there<br>
- having a night lamp on<br>
- be up really late<br>
- favourite food with some 'forbidden or rarely eaten food'<br><br>
i would talk to your dd about her friends possibly needing mommy. talk to dd in a way that she can relate to what it feels like not to have mommy with you.<br><br>
if it does happen sit and share with your dd how life can be bittersweet. we do that all the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts