Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whadda ya think?

or Oatmeal?

do you Mamas hold that it's important to have iron fortified...or is regular old brown rice ground up in a grinder, and cooked to mush okay?

thanks
liora

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
We did bananas, then avocado, then sweet potato. We never did much cereal. I eventually introduced it in order to thicken foods that I had thinned with breastmilk too much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We did actual cooked barley grains with DS1. He hated the texture of ground up mushed up baby food, so he ate grated apple, barley grains, tiny avocado chunks, etc.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
cereal has very little nutrition and very often causes constipation (especially iron fortified).

fruits and veggies are wonderful first foods. banana, avocado, steamed sweet potato all provide great nutrition and are excellent starter foods.

we waited until dd was able to feed herself so i offered her a few pieces of banana that she could taste. she loves to taste food but doesn't really eat anything, she still receives all of her nutrition from breastmilk.

·
Registered
429 Posts
we started with bananas, then avocado and sweet potato. DD didn't like pureed foods, so we waited a bit and offered chunks of food which she loved. After a few months, she was o.k. with eating from a spoon. We think she just didn't like the texture of the food in her mouth unless she could really feel it and move it around.

If iron deficieny is a concern, you can offer high iron foods paired w/ vit c to aid in absorption. Iron in bm is absorbed at a MUCH higher rate than iron in foods. kellymom has some good info. about this.

ellacy
dd 1 yr

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I wanted to add ds is 9mths old, and only in the past week have we started "feeding" him, we got some organic teething buscuits, and he will knaw on them, but thats all he has other than bm and water in his sippy.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
We did barley, avocado, sweet potato and just a little banana last night, oh and a ginger teething biscuit. The cereal and biscuit are from Healthy Times.

Dawn

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just wanted to add that any product with 'fortified' vitamins, are synthetic vitamins, and being such are simply not good for your body, what to speak of a little baby.
Commercial baby cereal, even organic brands, are so highly processed that there is vertially no nutrition left. If you did want to start with grains though, I have read and heard from a number of sources that MILLET is the most digestable grain. Of course with all grains though, that includes being soaked over night, to aid with digestability. But even with soaked grains etc...its still not such a good idea to give grains to a baby youger than about 10 months. So I would say fruit and veg all the way

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
:Yeah

and the iron in breastmilk is much more bioavailable than the iron in other foods, especially the highly processed cereals.

so if anything, mama...make sure YOU'RE getting enough iron! i like to put a bit of blackstrap molasses in my morning smoothie.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I'm agreeing with pps that as long as you are getting plenty of iron and are breastfeeding, there is absolutely no need to supplement (and also with kidspiration's points on iron absorption)

From all of the research I have read and from that of one of my mentors who is my profession's leading wellness researcher, hold off on those grains until after fruits and veggies are being easily consumed for several months. And whenever you choose to start grains, don't use nutritionally useless cereal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Glad I saw this thread...my baby just hit the 6 month mark, and I have officially delayed solids until this point. Is it really ok to start now? He isn't sitting unsupported yet,(however he can creep/crawl already) but he does ok in the new high chair when buckled in, and he can move water to the back of his mouth to swallow instead of it running out so I know the tongue thrust reflex is gone. I don't think he could feed himself yet, no pincer grasp on the horizon yet. But as for giving it a try, I'm thinking about going with some freshly mashed banana...and see what happens. If he likes it, then we can keep going. If not, I just might wait a few more weeks to see if his interest peaks. He certainly wants to be where we are at mealtimes, and is lunging for whatever we are eating...and while I think he's too young to sample off our plates, I think I have to resign myself to the fact that he is ready for simple solid foods...like banana or homemade pear sauce. It's just so hard to see your baby grow up, you know?

So, if I've waited this long, it's ok to begin? He has been exclusively bf'd until this point. With the exception of a couple of swallows of water to check his tongue reflex. It's been 4 years since I started a baby on solid foods and I feel like a beginner all of a sudden! I've liked the info on grains you all have given...I've never really thought there was any nutrition in rice cereal and the idea of waiting for grains until the baby is closer to one year makes much more sense to me. Though, when his pincer grasp does start to make an appearance how OK are Cheerios?

Thanks ladies! I don't know what I'd do if I had to rely on my other "traditional" parenting boards when it comes to stuff like this! My ped is very pro-breastfeeding, but I haven't brought up solids yet...maybe because it's been 5 months since we've seen her?
But when we go for a basic 6 month check up (no vax yet) I may want to chat with her...just to see what her stand is.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
To start solids, all of the below should be met:

at least 6 months
sitting unassisted
pincher grasp
no tongue thrust
ability to put food in mouth

THEN just let them self feed. No need for spoon feeding more than a TINY taste here and there.

-Angela

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can I ask your source for your previous information alegna? I know there is a school of thought of waiting until the child can self feed almost entirely by being able to pick everything up, so I'm wondering if that's the guidlines you are going by? If it's opinion according to your own wisdom that's fine too...I'd just like to know what's what.

romans_mum, can I ask where I can find the whole foods booklet you refer to? I know I can easily find Dr. Sears stuff, but I'm curious about this other source you mentioned. Thanks!

And is there a reliable source I can quote to my ped about artificial iron and iron fortification interfering with the absorbtion of breast milk iron? If this ped is like most peds she's likely to suggest adding a supplement at this age...and I'd just like to have credible sources backing up why I'm going to refuse. I know I don't have to, but it helps to show why I know what I know.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i found it in the little booklet that I found in the whole foods baby care dept, it was around all the other little flyers for organic baby products. It had coupons in it to
if i remember correctly it was called "whole baby"

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I started with just common sense (well, thinking through in a research-type manner) It makes perfect sense that humans would not have evolved to be spoonfed jars of food. There were no blenders in caves
a chewed up bite here and there, sure, a full diet? no way.

Then I have seen quite a bit of research to back this up. I believe that the checklist on kellymom is pretty similar to mine.

-Angela

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks, alegna...I was just browsing over at Kellymom and found the same readiness cues you mentioned. It's so hard...when even info targeted to delaying says "between 6 and 9 months" or "around the 6 month mark"...I need more to let me know that when he reaches those ages, here is what else I should be looking for. This is the first baby I've delayed this long and I feel like such a beginner.

I think for now he's happy in his high chair next to us at the table (he got way too wiggly for laps!) with his little sippy of water and plastic spoon. I'll visit the issue again at the 7 month mark. Searching around more I think I've come up with more info so that I can defend my position if needed...like Dr's and inlaws.
I don't like to defend, but if push comes to shove, it's nice to show questioning people that there are REAL reasons behind what I decide to do, not something I just pulled out of thin air.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
okay

(I am the orig. poster)

my baby shows some signs of readiness...but not all. DD1 showed no interest in solids so I delayed her till over 10 months. And good thing, too since she's allergic to everything under the sun.

DS 2 is sensitive to some things in my bm, too. So maybe it'll be just a taste of whole foods now and then, like alegna said. A little avocado, like he had the other day, and a bit of sweet potato, and all these boxes of organic baby cereal I specially brought to China from the U.S.,,,,well, they're not looking too tasty to me so why would it to him?

Plus ds got all his cord blood at birth. We should be good on iron if I stay Iron-rich (molassas in oatmeal, we bought a cast iron wok we use daily, the occasional supplement, stay away from xtra calcium, high vit. C, etc!)

thanks folks
liora in beijing

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.