Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I just started my ds on solids about a two weeks ago. I started him with cereal first (which he didn't like), and then 4 days later gave him yellow veggies (he loves them!) My question is if he doesn't care for the cereal, is it ok if I just mix some in his bottle instead? And, how much of the veggies should he be eating daily? He's on organic solids right now, and I'm using Earth's Best and he eats about 1/2 of a small jar twice a day so basically one small jar a day, and then about 6 oz's of formula afterwards. I was curious to know how much other mommies are feeding their 6-7 month old babies and what your feeding your little ones. I plan on starting him on green veggies later on this week. THanks for your help, dani

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
First, a huge congrats on getting to this most fun time! I love that first-eating-solids stage. ds, now 15 months, loved finally being able to join in our family meals, and we loved how excited he got about it.

Why mix cereal in your baby's bottle? He doesn't need it. If he doesn't like it, skip it. (The people who first spread the notion that kids need "baby cereal" were marketers of, you guessed it, baby cereal!)

First food experiences aren't about nutrition. They don't develop a big need for suplemental nutrition until later. In fact, my ds (also bottlefed...he's adopted) ate very little at 6 months, even though he was eager to start. He was glad to try solids, but I only did it when he showed interest. Sometimes he would go days without eating, or even a full week. And other times, he would eat a bite or two and be done. But he also had days when he would get really into it, and eat several bites at all meals of the day. There is no hurry.

ds slowly ate more over time. If memory serves, by nine or ten months, he was eating almost every day, and by a year, he was having at least a three or four large snacks everyday. By 14 months he was having more of a "meal" each time he ate, and we actually started ordering food just for him at restaurants because he was hogging too much of ours! Of course, now he is on the typical toddler hunger-strike, too busy to slow down to eat. But kids don't normally starve themselves, so we're riding it out.

The value of first food experiences is simply the introduction to the joys of solid foods...the wonder of new tastes and textures! It's a fun and exciting time.

Doing non-solid solids (pureed foods) isn't necessary, and can lead to overfeeding if you aren't careful. If Braydon is ready for solids, he is ready for tiny bits of what you are eating. This will also allow him to better eat until satiation and no more, and even better, it will introduce him to the foods that *your* family is into. It's part of a child taking on the culture of his family.

I think the introduction to textures is important, and it is lost from those important first experiences when babies are limited to foods blended up.
(And less important, but as a side note: I also know at least three babies who had difficulty transitioning off baby food onto true solids because of texture issues. They wanted to be fed the pureed stuff only.)

What was ds eating at 6 or 7 months? His first food was the tiniest little piece of lettuce ripped off from a vegetable sandwich I was eating. It's a funny story, really. I was eating this sandwich and he was going nuts trying to get some of it. I looked at what was in the sandwich (pickles, jalapenos, etc.) and thought the lettuce seemed like a mild bet. I ripped him off a piece so small, I doubted he would even notice it. I put it in his mouth, and he was so excited! As soon as it either fell out of his mouth or he swallowed it (??), he hollered out for more. It went on from there slowly, slowly over many months introducing him to the flavors and textures of our family's world. As he responded well to basic foods (bites of baked potato, for example), we became more comfortable with sharing more of the fullness of what was on our plates.

You might find this widely published article a helpful read at this stage: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/

Congratulations again, and have fun!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
P.S. I just checked out Braydon's site. What a cutie patootie! I'm jealous he was awake enough to truly experience his first vacation LOL. ds was four months when we took our first family vacation together, and with the warmth of the sun, he slept through all of his beach time! The little swim diaper we bought him never even saw any water LOL. And the first pic of Braydon in the plane, during the day, at the window, that is a beautiful shot!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
why give your ds cereal at all? I gave mine cereal but he hated it so I just mixed it with fruits/veggies.

and the first food he got was bananas lol. He loved them :p

here's what I did...introduced cereal for a few days...then spent about a month introducing all kinds of fruits and veggies (he did have a sensitivity to peas that went away by his first birthday) then I gave him oatmeal mixed with a fruit for breakfast, rice cereal mixed w/veggie for lunch, and mixed grain mixed with a dinner for dinner.

approx half a jar of cereal mixed with a half of a jar of the food...and he usually would eat a few bites of each. at least. sometimes he'd eat it all and squawk for more.

Just some ideas rather than putting it in the bottle and risking choking your dc.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My DD is almost 7 months old. She doesn't get solids everyday, just occasionally. We have given her mashed up bananas, advacado, and one day she just kind of sucked on my peach I was eating and liked it. We just started.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Another vote to skip the cereal- and don't put it in a bottle for sure! Breastmilk provides all the nutrition your child needs for at least the first year. Solids are for fun. Let your child self feed (instead of spoon feeding) that way they can better regulate their intake.

have fun!

-Angela

·
Registered
235 Posts
ditto to the last two posts (and Jennifer, our daugters were born on the same day!)

My bambina has had some mashed bananas, avocado, peas (not a hit), and today... mango! last week she grabbed the lemon off my water glass and we were to curious to take it away... first she squashed it in her fist, the turned it over for an examination, then brought it to her mouth... and loved it! her expression a;ternated between sour pucker and compleat delight!

food right now is about play and learning, not about nutrition.
baby cereal reminds me of tile cement!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Another vote to skip the cereal- and don't put it in a bottle for sure! Breastmilk provides all the nutrition your child needs for at least the first year. Solids are for fun. Let your child self feed (instead of spoon feeding) that way they can better regulate their intake.

have fun!

-Angela
Looks like her ds is formula fed, so I think the rules are a little different...I'm not sure what the guidelines for feeding are for ff babies?

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
In response to the last post/question, in my experience, when ds has gone on hunger strikes, he's been okay on just his formula. Though after he started walking, he did lose some weight when he wasn't keeping up as much with solids (by then he also was drinking less formula).

I would say that starting with solids for most formula fed kids at 6-8 months is okay, even if the babe still doesn't eat daily for another couple months. But that is a somewhat uneducated opinion. The recommendations for formula fed kids is to start solids at 6 months, but I didn't get the feeling at that point (ds wasn't actually ingesting a whole lot) that it was critical to actually have him ingesting much of it. Around a year, he seemed to need the additional nutrition.

·
Registered
982 Posts
No need for cereal - and definitely not in a bottle - it's a choking hazard. Formula already has enough iron in it, and that's all the good cereal is for. Sounds like he's getting enough to eat. When he screams after the jar is gone, you know it's time for more
If you make your own babyfood, you can use the cereal to thicken it up, but you don't need it for nutritional purposes. And since it looks like you buy the jars anyways, there's no need to thicken it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra
First, a huge congrats on getting to this most fun time! I love that first-eating-solids stage. ds, now 15 months, loved finally being able to join in our family meals, and we loved how excited he got about it.

Why mix cereal in your baby's bottle? He doesn't need it. If he doesn't like it, skip it. (The people who first spread the notion that kids need "baby cereal" were marketers of, you guessed it, baby cereal!)

First food experiences aren't about nutrition. They don't develop a big need for suplemental nutrition until later. In fact, my ds (also bottlefed...he's adopted) ate very little at 6 months, even though he was eager to start. He was glad to try solids, but I only did it when he showed interest. Sometimes he would go days without eating, or even a full week. And other times, he would eat a bite or two and be done. But he also had days when he would get really into it, and eat several bites at all meals of the day. There is no hurry.

ds slowly ate more over time. If memory serves, by nine or ten months, he was eating almost every day, and by a year, he was having at least a three or four large snacks everyday. By 14 months he was having more of a "meal" each time he ate, and we actually started ordering food just for him at restaurants because he was hogging too much of ours! Of course, now he is on the typical toddler hunger-strike, too busy to slow down to eat. But kids don't normally starve themselves, so we're riding it out.

The value of first food experiences is simply the introduction to the joys of solid foods...the wonder of new tastes and textures! It's a fun and exciting time.

Doing non-solid solids (pureed foods) isn't necessary, and can lead to overfeeding if you aren't careful. If Braydon is ready for solids, he is ready for tiny bits of what you are eating. This will also allow him to better eat until satiation and no more, and even better, it will introduce him to the foods that *your* family is into. It's part of a child taking on the culture of his family.

I think the introduction to textures is important, and it is lost from those important first experiences when babies are limited to foods blended up.
(And less important, but as a side note: I also know at least three babies who had difficulty transitioning off baby food onto true solids because of texture issues. They wanted to be fed the pureed stuff only.)

What was ds eating at 6 or 7 months? His first food was the tiniest little piece of lettuce ripped off from a vegetable sandwich I was eating. It's a funny story, really. I was eating this sandwich and he was going nuts trying to get some of it. I looked at what was in the sandwich (pickles, jalapenos, etc.) and thought the lettuce seemed like a mild bet. I ripped him off a piece so small, I doubted he would even notice it. I put it in his mouth, and he was so excited! As soon as it either fell out of his mouth or he swallowed it (??), he hollered out for more. It went on from there slowly, slowly over many months introducing him to the flavors and textures of our family's world. As he responded well to basic foods (bites of baked potato, for example), we became more comfortable with sharing more of the fullness of what was on our plates.

You might find this widely published article a helpful read at this stage: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/

Congratulations again, and have fun!
Thanks for your advice and the article! I think I will just skip cereal all together. He loves his veggies, though, and would prolly like to eat them in the morning too if it was up to him...lol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra
P.S. I just checked out Braydon's site. What a cutie patootie! I'm jealous he was awake enough to truly experience his first vacation LOL. ds was four months when we took our first family vacation together, and with the warmth of the sun, he slept through all of his beach time! The little swim diaper we bought him never even saw any water LOL. And the first pic of Braydon in the plane, during the day, at the window, that is a beautiful shot!
THANK YOU!!! That is a classic pic of Bray on the plane....love it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CalebsMama05
why give your ds cereal at all? I gave mine cereal but he hated it so I just mixed it with fruits/veggies.

and the first food he got was bananas lol. He loved them :p

here's what I did...introduced cereal for a few days...then spent about a month introducing all kinds of fruits and veggies (he did have a sensitivity to peas that went away by his first birthday) then I gave him oatmeal mixed with a fruit for breakfast, rice cereal mixed w/veggie for lunch, and mixed grain mixed with a dinner for dinner.

approx half a jar of cereal mixed with a half of a jar of the food...and he usually would eat a few bites of each. at least. sometimes he'd eat it all and squawk for more.

Just some ideas rather than putting it in the bottle and risking choking your dc.
I'm going to start him on green veggies this week. My ped said cereal for the first week, yellow veggies for the second week, green veggies for the third week, and fourth week would be fruit. I really didn't follow that, though. I'm going to introduce him to fruit sooner....why wait? That's a great idea to mix the fruit & cereal together. I think Bray would like that much better. I was also thinking of giving him some avacado too....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyfry
Looks like her ds is formula fed, so I think the rules are a little different...I'm not sure what the guidelines for feeding are for ff babies?
Yes, unfortunately, my little man is ff. He was bf up until he was 3 mo., and then I had to go back to work.....next baby will be bf longer....I miss it

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa85
No need for cereal - and definitely not in a bottle - it's a choking hazard. Formula already has enough iron in it, and that's all the good cereal is for. Sounds like he's getting enough to eat. When he screams after the jar is gone, you know it's time for more
If you make your own babyfood, you can use the cereal to thicken it up, but you don't need it for nutritional purposes. And since it looks like you buy the jars anyways, there's no need to thicken it.
Thanks, Lisa! A lot of ppl say that cereal isn't necessary, and I'm glad b/c he's definetely not into it.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyfry
Nutrition is the one thing the formula companies get almost right. They might not get the perfect balance of fats to proteins to carbs and the exact right amounts of easily absorbed vitamins and minerals, but they do get close enough to avoid malnutrition through the first year.

Either way, cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Either way, cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard.
YIKES!!! That's scary!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by danigrl
I'm going to start him on green veggies this week. My ped said cereal for the first week, yellow veggies for the second week, green veggies for the third week, and fourth week would be fruit. I really didn't follow that, though. I'm going to introduce him to fruit sooner....why wait? That's a great idea to mix the fruit & cereal together. I think Bray would like that much better. I was also thinking of giving him some avacado too....
Y'know, there are some of us wackos here who just dispensed with the whole schedule-of-foods thing entirely. My dd's first taste of solid food was sucking on apple slices (before she got teeth). Her first food she actually ate was bananas. Her second? Paté. She started on green leafy vegetables before most fruits, because, well, we eat green leafy vegetable for dinner, not fruits
and I'm just now adding in more fruits for snacks. She loves lamb and beef and fish but she isn't so keen on chicken (just like her mom) and I have NEVER waited a week or even a day between food introductions.

There is growing evidence to suggest that this one-food-at-a-time, proscribed schedule is really unnecessary. Check out this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/ We ARE withholding nuts, chocolate and shellfish and going really light on the dairy, but everything else is just whatever pops up, she can eat. It takes a lot of the stress out and it's really fun to see her try new tastes.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
What does everyone feed their babies to make sure they get enough iron? I'm looking through that Super Baby Food book and it mentions iron supplements. I would rather him get it through his food, but not through iron-fortified cereal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.