Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My poor daughter found a pinworm tonight after wiping her bottom. Just one. Understandingly she freaked and we went to see a Dr. ASAP.
I just cleaned and washed all my laundry this week. I know she was itchy on her bottom a few nights ago. I thought she just didn't wipe well enough, like she used to or something else was irritating her skin there. She's 13 and I thought this happened moreso to younger kids. I was told that it's from poor bathroom wiping techniques by other moms.
I just finished cleaning and disinfecting the bathroom. I've been cleaning around the house for days just cause it needed it. She needs to stop biting her nails, which the Doc said may have been the cause due to that she goes to a friends where there is a baby and another friends where there are other small kids. I got her to change her undies. I threw out the ones she was wearing when she found the icky thing. I'm getting her brand new undies. I just washed my bed sheets this week. Not sure if I need to do that again. Maybe just in case. She has a one time prescription pill and then the things will just die and she will pass them in her poop, apparently.
Is there anything else I need to do? Does one constitute to making this a huge deal? I don't seem to have them. Does the family get them all at once? Or am I in the clear? The Doc didn't really go into too much detail. He just left us after he gave us the prespcription. This wasn't her pedia.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
My advice on anything like this, including lice, is clean, clean, and clean again. You can't really clean too much, in my opinion. It really does prevent this stuff from recurring. Sorry this happened to your DD, and hope it's over soon!

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
My poor daughter found a pinworm tonight after wiping her bottom. Just one. Understandingly she freaked and we went to see a Dr. ASAP.
I just cleaned and washed all my laundry this week. I know she was itchy on her bottom a few nights ago. I thought she just didn't wipe well enough, like she used to or something else was irritating her skin there. She's 13 and I thought this happened moreso to younger kids. I was told that it's from poor bathroom wiping techniques by other moms.
I just finished cleaning and disinfecting the bathroom. I've been cleaning around the house for days just cause it needed it. She needs to stop biting her nails, which the Doc said may have been the cause due to that she goes to a friends where there is a baby and another friends where there are other small kids. I got her to change her undies. I threw out the ones she was wearing when she found the icky thing. I'm getting her brand new undies. I just washed my bed sheets this week. Not sure if I need to do that again. Maybe just in case. She has a one time prescription pill and then the things will just die and she will pass them in her poop, apparently.
Is there anything else I need to do? Does one constitute to making this a huge deal? I don't seem to have them. Does the family get them all at once? Or am I in the clear? The Doc didn't really go into too much detail. He just left us after he gave us the prespcription. This wasn't her pedia.
It really isn't a big deal. You'll all be fine. For the record, I wouldn't have gone crazy cleaning.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:
My daughter took her one time medicine and that one pinworm has been the only one she's seen since and hasn't been itching. I never got it, thank goodness.

Polliwog,
I had to do a deep cleaning of my place because it needed it, and that was before the pinworms. I don't mind cleaning like crazy, anyways. But my daughter was emotional and scared.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with wiping technique. If you get a pinworm egg into your mouth (usually, it was under your fingernail; you picked it up after someone did not wash hands thoroughly after wiping an infected person and touched something you touched) and it survives to hatch, then there is a worm in your body, and if you pick up more than two you can get a full infestation. Medication is the right way to get rid of them.

Now that you have cleaned your house, you don't need to keep it super-clean hereafter, because now that she's been treated, any future infestation will come from someone else.

The most important way to avoid them is to wash hands before eating, including under the nails. Get a nail brush to put beside every sink in your home, if you don't have them already.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't have anything to do with wiping technique. If you get a pinworm egg into your mouth (usually, it was under your fingernail; you picked it up after someone did not wash hands thoroughly after wiping an infected person and touched something you touched) and it survives to hatch, then there is a worm in your body, and if you pick up more than two you can get a full infestation. Medication is the right way to get rid of them.

Now that you have cleaned your house, you don't need to keep it super-clean hereafter, because now that she's been treated, any future infestation will come from someone else.

The most important way to avoid them is to wash hands before eating, including under the nails. Get a nail brush to put beside every sink in your home, if you don't have them already.
Thank you. Yes, I have been encouraging her to use a nail brush when she washes her hands and is doing so. They have freaked her out so much that she is willing to avoid them as much as possible. I suspect 2 of her friends houses could have been the culprit. One has a baby and the other has a small child and, from what I've heard, isn't clean.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
It probably was from one of the households with small children but cleanliness is neither here not there really. Threadworm eggs are everywhere and are impossible to get rid of from the environment. So even if you keep your house clean you can easily bring them home from the park or shops or wherever. The reason adults and older children don't get them as often is because they don't tend to put everything in their mouths.

Washing on a hot cycle and sun drying will kill eggs. No need to throw clothes or linen away. Eggs also need a dark, moist environment to survive so opening curtains/blinds every morning and airing beds before making will also help.

It's probably a bit late now but, for future reference, if one person is infected the whole household should be treated. It is possible to be infected without having symptoms so don't rely on that when deciding who to treat. In Australia, the treatment can be bought OTC at the chemist. You take the first dose then a second dose a week later to clean up any which were transferred after the first dose was given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts