Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DS has strep throat and the Dr prescribed amoxicillin. I filled it reluctantly and he has had 2 doses. I've now read that it is best to let strep ride it out so your body can build up its own immunity and antibiotics make it worse in the long run. I am fearful of rheumatic fever and it seemed like the best thing to do for my little one, but now I'm not sure.<br><br>
I just found this on ehow.com.<br><br>
"A member of the penicillin class, amoxicillin does not kill bacteria. Rather, it prevents bacteria from multiplying by keeping them from forming their protective walls. Amoxicillin is effective against such strains of bacteria as Streptococci, H. influenzae, E. coli, N. gonorrhoea, Pneumococci and particular types of Staphylococci, because these bacteria cannot survive without their protective cellular walls."<br><br>
Does anyone know if this is true? If so, maybe amoxicillin is not as bad as I thought. At least it is not killing the good ones, maybe?<br><br>
I don't know if I should stop the abx and risk make superbugs or continue them. Thanks for listening - anyone have any ideas to share?

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Yes Amox is one of the "gentlest" antibiotics in that it is not "broad spectrum" and it kills the least amount of good bacteria.<br><br>
I would do a long course of probiotics afterwards.<br><br>
Enzymes will also degrade bacteria, viruses and yeast protective cells walls.<br><a href="http://www.enzymestuff.com" target="_blank">www.enzymestuff.com</a><br><br>
So will the lauric acid in coconut oil.<br>
Tropical Traditions research site: <a href="http://www.coconutoil.com/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.coconutoil.com/index.html</a>

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JaneS. That makes me feel a little better.<br><br>
We are doing Florastor now. I think the antibiotics will not affect that. I agree about the probiotics afterwards.<br><br>
Do you know if cocount would affect the live active cultures in coconut milk kefir. If coconut products degrade bacteria, will it also degrade the good active cultures in the kefir?<br><br>
We already eat some coconut oil, about a tablespoon a day or every other day. Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks sophiesgrandma, I've been doing that, but now my problem is DS hates the taste of the Florastor. Got it down him twice mixed with yogurt, but he spit it out the third time. He is very reluctant to take the amox, too, so i am having 5 food battles a day.<br><br>
Any experience in what I can mix the Florastor with to mask the taste? I have to admit, it smells pretty bad!

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Antibiotics will not kill Florastor as it is beneficial yeast: Sacchomyces Boulardii, correct? You can take beneficial yeast at the same time as antibiotics.<br><br>
Coconut water, milk or oil will not harm beneficial microbes, it has something to do with their particular structure. I don't know exactly why, but the big guns in the coconut and kefir field (Donna Gates, Mary Enig and Bruce Fife) have all said this.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, that is great to hear about the coconut! I got a little Florastor in him by mixing with a smoothie, but now I need a way to do the 2nd dose. Thanks, JaneS!<br><br>
Thanks Nazsmum, sometimes it is so hard to know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts