Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out where all the info on fish oil might be - I know it's somewhere, but I can't figure out where!

I am considering giving my as so far vegetarian son fish oil.... Another thing I wonder is.. How do you get a one year old to take fish oil?

Thanks everyone......
:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Do you mean cod liver oil? or another product? The most common fish oil supplement is cod liver. Its very high in Vits A & D and great for children. You can actually get it in different flavours to help get it down

Here's some great info on the nutritional points:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...-oil-menu.html

Down the bottom of that page, there are some reputable brands and companies listed that sell high quality oil.

HTH

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yes I mean cod liver oil, I assume that other fish oils are too high in contaminants... I just wondered about the flavours etc.. sugar, best type that sort of thing...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I think if you start at this age, and act like it's a treat (don't push too hard!) you'll probably have no trouble getting your dc to take it.

I get the bottle out after dinner and offer it around to everyone, like dessert. My 3.5 yo will take it about 2 times out of 3 (and he sees me and dh take it).

We take Nordic naturals, orange flavour.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
This is something that's been bugging me a lot. Many folks here recommend the Radiant Life and Green pasture high vitamin cod liver oil, two of the options on the weston price site. I used a bottle of the Green Pasture, and I'd love to start using it again, but what third party certifier tests the Green Pasture product for mercury? I see numerous assurances that it's safe, I've read about it's source, the methods used to preserve the vitamins, all of that stuff. What I have not read is a stamp from a independent third party certifying it's safety. I do find that stamp on Nordic Naturals and Carlson's, which unfortunately are not high vitamin.

I Really, Really, Really would like to use the HVO; our family has severe tooth decay and it really bothers me that I can't seem to get any independent verification of purity. All the safety claims appear, and this may be due to limitations in my research, to come from people who stand to profit.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybeknott View Post
This is something that's been bugging me a lot. Many folks here recommend the Radiant Life and Green pasture high vitamin cod liver oil, two of the options on the weston price site. I used a bottle of the Green Pasture, and I'd love to start using it again, but what third party certifier tests the Green Pasture product for mercury? I see numerous assurances that it's safe, I've read about it's source, the methods used to preserve the vitamins, all of that stuff. What I have not read is a stamp from a independent third party certifying it's safety. I do find that stamp on Nordic Naturals and Carlson's, which unfortunately are not high vitamin.

I Really, Really, Really would like to use the HVO; our family has severe tooth decay and it really bothers me that I can't seem to get any independent verification of purity. All the safety claims appear, and this may be due to limitations in my research, to come from people who stand to profit.

Can someone point me in the right direction here?
Subbing, hoping for more info.....

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Well I can update. I wrote an email to Green Pastures asking about the existence of a third party lab and they were extremely rude, and seemed to be offended that I would ask about the testing that they do. You'd think (or hope) that they would be really excited to share their testing procedures if their product was really so pure, but no, they were evasive and mean. A big red flag for me.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybeknott View Post
Well I can update. I wrote an email to Green Pastures asking about the existence of a third party lab and they were extremely rude, and seemed to be offended that I would ask about the testing that they do. You'd think (or hope) that they would be really excited to share their testing procedures if their product was really so pure, but no, they were evasive and mean. A big red flag for me.

Wow, that's crummy.

Thank for the info, Sara.

At the moment I have Carlson's fish oil.... which I'm reading both glowing and negative things about (here on MDC), so I'm feeling confused.

I'll keep taking it until I run out.
After that, I'm not sure what to buy, or whether I'll have any other mercury-free options in my (non-metro) area.

alsoSarah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.