Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about these? My MIL just told me she is giving ds one for Christmas (will be 9.5mo), and I looked it up. It sounds like it might be okay once he is walking (We have already gently told her that we weren't comfortable with walkers and bouncers because of the hip/pelvis alignment stuff, and she respected that. This is definitely different.) It also sounds like it might have horrible electronic music, but I can pull the batteries easily enough. Has anyone used one? Any thoughts? Sometimes I think that I am looking for reasons to disapprove of the toys my relatives give ds, which is totally dumb, and they are all supportive of AP and non-vax and all that, even if they don't agree.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallacesmum View Post
Does anyone know anything about these? My MIL just told me she is giving ds one for Christmas (will be 9.5mo), and I looked it up. It sounds like it might be okay once he is walking (We have already gently told her that we weren't comfortable with walkers and bouncers because of the hip/pelvis alignment stuff, and she respected that. This is definitely different.) It also sounds like it might have horrible electronic music, but I can pull the batteries easily enough. Has anyone used one? Any thoughts? Sometimes I think that I am looking for reasons to disapprove of the toys my relatives give ds, which is totally dumb, and they are all supportive of AP and non-vax and all that, even if they don't agree.
We have one. I hate it. Dh hates it. It was a $35 waste of money. We use it without batteries most of the time. The singing and noises aren't THAT terrible but I don't like hearing the songs over and over. I have them memorized. Ds likes to sit on the ground and turn the key and the steering wheel. It walks waaaaay too fast for him so the "walker" part is useless, and he is 1. It walks way too fast for the 17 month old girl I sit for, too. The 13 month old down the block climbs on it in "riding" mode and it flips over every time and smacks his head on the floor. It was the worst toy mistake I've ever made but ds had just started pulling up that day, I was so excited, he is my first baby and I wanted a push-walker toy for him so bad that I went all over town trying to find something sturdy enough for him to walk with.

This toy http://www.mastermindtoys.com/store/...F56L9F6JD09046 is 100 million times better and it's the same price. We have that one too. It never flips over, ds can pull himself up on it, and it is slow enough that he doesn't end up flat on his face.

I hope that you end up liking yours more than I like mine!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes, we do have this toy (looked it up online at:
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...ulnl&pid=33043 because I wasn't sure if it was the same one).

Ds received it last Christmas from his grandparents and he was 1. Didn't really seem that interested in it until the summer, then he LOVED it, but also grew bored of it quickly.
I like the other one that StrawberryFields posted, the crocodile one, it looks way cooler!! I wish we had asked for that one, too late for him this year, but I think it looks really fun!
Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have that one and it has been a big hit at our home. It would go too fast for pre walkers if it was not on carpet and I think we got more use out of it for its "car" feature. It is the most popular toy when we have other kids over. We have only had to replace the batteries once and we have had it over a year. So our family has really liked it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We have this toy for my son. The walker part is useless - the legs don't spread wide enough and causes them to lean too far forward. But as a car - my son absolutely loves it. In fact - he has muscle issues and is not walking unassisted yet so this is his mode of transportation around the house.

I also have all ceramic around my house - so for awhile it was too fast for him. My PT recommended putting duck tape around the wheels to slow it down.

He has flipped out of it twice - before he knew how to properly get himself on and off of it. Never has since he has been able to support himself standing on one leg.

Oh - he is now 20 mo. old. We got it last Christmas when he was less than a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts