Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be nice to encourage each other's fitness efforts. I like to start on Sunday because it's an easy day for me to get a decent workout in and start the week strong. I know alot of people are feeling too tired and sick to do much. How is it going for you?

Today I ran with several walk breaks, because I kept getting irrationally freaked out about whether I was getting my heartrate too high. I also was feeling more tired than usual, but that may be because I started too soon after a big lunch. I ended up with 3.75 miles in 45 min. Then some crunches and lots of water.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Oooh, this is a great idea! I'll join up.

Last pregnancy I walked on and off, but when it got too cold I just kinda did nothing. I'm determined not to let that happen again. So far today I haven't excercised yet, but I am planning on walking later.

I'm glad you mentioned crunches and running, because I've heard they are taboo in pregnancy and I've always wondered why. I would love to keep running!

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm trying to keep running as long as possible - I just got back into a routine about a month b/f getting pg, so I was just really getting into my groove. Now I've backed off to walking up one long hill rather than running it, but otherwise keeping the same route. I think it's helped me avoid m/s to get out and get fresh air (I run as soon as I get up)

But no workout today - I do m-f. But We had swimming lessons last week and this week m-th, so only got 1 run in last week. Gonna try to wake up earlier to go at least 3 days this week. Or else to walk inthe evening if I miss the run

Crunches will get harder if not impossible - but keep them up as long as you can!! Great job!!

Good idea to have a thread for cheerleading and support!!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I live in Houston so running and exercising outside is generally not a good idea, it's so friggin hot!

I go to the gym and my plan is:
Monday - Lifting for lower body & cardio - stairmaster & eliptical or treadmill
Wednesday - Yoga
Friday - Lifting for upper body & cardio - stairmaster & eliptical or treadmill
Saturday - Cardio only, preferrably spin class if I can get there by 8am.

I do crunches on Monday & Friday on an exercise ball and also do them random times here at home on my ball

I was a personal trainer before #4 came along then it was just too hard to meet with clients when I had 2 little ones
I miss it very much. I trained through my third pregnancy and most of the way through my 4th but I had PSD making everything more painful for quite a while.
:

If you were running before and it is something your body is used to then you can continue to do it as long as you feel well. I do crunches until the end but only on an exercise ball.

Keri

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had this incredible urge to walk - a lot. It's great because normally exercise is done because it needs to be. I'm not sure if it's because of the life growing in me, or the fact that everyone has suggested walking as much as possible, or what. Bottom line is that it's great. I'm trying a yoga dvd. Anyone do that?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I did a yoga dvd with my last pregnancy, and it was great--I'll have to go dig it out for this one!

I've been swimming 3-4 times a week and walking 3-4 times a week, so pretty low key, but I've found I'm less tired right after exercising. I also swam pretty much every day last pregnancy (now I'm a WOHM, so a little tougher--sometimes I have to work through lunch and can't go to the gym for my laps), and it really really helped with stiffness and lower back pain.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I walk a lot with DS. I practice yoga a few times a week, but haven't practiced all week due to nausea. I'm hoping to take a prenatal yoga class starting in the fall--that will motivate me to just do it.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Went to the gym this morning

It was leg day so I started out with 25 minutes on the treadmill then moved onto abs & lower back.
The squat rack was taken
: so I started out with leg extensions then moved on to plie's with 15 pound dumbell, dead lifts with 30 pounds and once the squat rack opened I finished with 65 pound bar squats. I was pretty tired after that - I hate ending with squats but then moved on to the eliptical and did that for 15 minutes to try to break up the lactic acid. I started feeling a bit
: so I stopped at 15 instead of going to 20.

Tomorrow is my day off and Wednesday I plan on going to yoga but I forgot to grab the new schedule so I'll have to call and find out what timie the class is

Go Mama's Go

Keri

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
OK, I'm in.

I used to run a lot before DD23mos was born, since then it's been a little sporadic (okay a lot) so my running isn't what it used to be. I'm really not in the best shape. But now that I'm pregnant I'm making a concerted effort to squeeze in some more workouts.

Ran on the track at the Y today for 1/2 hour and did about 40 minutes of lifting and toning stuff at home -- I have the book "Pregnancy Fitness" (by the editors of Fitness magazine) and I'm going to try to follow their prescribed strength routines throughout this pregnancy. It's mostly hand weight stuff and resistance exercises, plus some crunches and kegels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ooh, kegels. I think I did about ten kegals TOTAL last pregnancy. I am going to try and be better about those.

No exercise for me today (Monday). Dh is working overnight, and by the time dd is in bed, I just don't feel like jumping on the 'mill. I'm going to try and run after work tomorrow, though.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am going to really enjoy this thread. My goal is to continue to work out as I do now- 2-4 per week. As I used to be on Weight Watchers, I use a heart rate monitor. Here is my question-- I've read that while you are pregnant your heart rate should not go over 140. Why is that? I've was tracking my heart rate before I got pregnant and it averaged about 160 a work out. Should I really drop down to 140?

Thanks in advance,
Zora

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zora
I am going to really enjoy this thread. My goal is to continue to work out as I do now- 2-4 per week. As I used to be on Weight Watchers, I use a heart rate monitor. Here is my question-- I've read that while you are pregnant your heart rate should not go over 140. Why is that? I've was tracking my heart rate before I got pregnant and it averaged about 160 a work out. Should I really drop down to 140?

Thanks in advance,
Zora
It is my opinion that 140 is VERY conservative and outdated. The only danger really is if your body temperature gets too high. I think going to 160 if that is what you are used to is fine. I have a heart monitor as well but the only time I usually use it is during spin class - that is the only time my HR gets high enough to concern me.

Good luck!
Keri

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by babysol
Ooh, kegels. I think I did about ten kegals TOTAL last pregnancy. I am going to try and be better about those.
Just a reminder kegels aren't just for pregnancy they are for every day of your life!
I was doing kegels before I was having sex thanks to Mom

Kegels will strengthen your pelvic floor and help prevent incontinence and can greatly improve your sex life
I enjoy doing kegels during sex

I do them while I am at the computer and whenever I stop at a red light.
The trick isn't just to tighten and release but to have different levels of tightening - it's call the elevator - you tighten a bit and then a bit more and then a bit more until you get to the 'top' and then you release one 'floor' at a time

Keri

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Well, the swimming didn't happen yesterday - drove all they way out to our friend's subdivision pool (we are feeding their cats for them) and it was closed! Doh! We did play outside at the playground there with ds and I worked out when I got home.

Today my mom is coming up and we are going walking. Our subdivision is great for walking/running because it's VERY hilly so I actually get a good workout. I'm going to do some weights today too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just about all I can do is walk and yoga when I'm lucky. This past week we have been travelling and I'm doing very little at all, and I feel so much worse!! Exercise definitely keeps my energy up which is so needed!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it's been a terrible week of exercise for me. I was in trial, then got a stomach bug and have been battling low grade fever, diarrhea and tummy upset for the second half of the week. I'm starting to feel better, and hope to get an easy run in tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I've been able to work out just about every day. Who knows how long I'll feel well so I might as well go gung ho while I can! It feels so good. I really hope I can keep it up!

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I didn't make it to yoga on Wednesday - it was raining REALLY bad here
: and I fell back to sleep

I did work out Friday - cardio and upper body and then took the kids swimming. I plan on doing some cardio today

Keri

1 - 19 of 19 Posts