Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 25 weeks and I have 6 fitteds!
: 5 spb and one faired mama made. I'm starting to freak a bit. I've tried to buy a little here and there; but, my time is running out! How am I gonna get 36?
I reaaaaaaaaaally don't wash to wash daily...I wash 2x/wk, I wonder if that is realistic with a babe.
I have uhhhhh 3 covers...a small blue skies easy, soaker from the tp, and a stacinator from Joaida.
6-10 of those?
: I'm wondering if I might have to break down and get som prefolds and have mama teach me how to fold and figure out a snappi, since a lot of mamas seem to pad their stash with them. I'm considering:
FF -- maybe one since she only has one style. to match my easy.
BB (bottombumpers) -- a ss and front. need to see if some of these mamas ahead of me have success with fit.
RB FLAM
KP -- not sure about fit

maybe a Cloud Ten if I can score
Ok, now I can't think....

those are a few tho I'm considering. I figure get one to try unless like the BB they have different styles. I don't want to buy a lot and they not work. I only bought the 5 spbs b/c they came as a lot.

that doesn't include anymore covers tho....
I reaaaaaaaaally don't want to do prefolds and bf blowouts....

Does that add up to 36?

I have 2 smalls. one fuz melon and a fuz straw w/ seeds
I need to start amassing those too. Depending on what I find works in the nb stash?

hopefully Berry Patch will do some nbs soon. I'm on the list and Terri too. I haven't been checking my email b/c I've been laying low planning my next purchase. I need a maternity suit right now....

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was the same way - didn't wan to do prefolds! But fitteds are so expensve, and they still need a cover...so I went wih prefolds and spent more money on good covers. My main concern was thinking fitteds would prevent leaks, bu a good cover will do that.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I used Snuggleups.. they are a flannel fitted. .no frills or anything but they have elastic legs and you can get them with velcro as well. Like I said, not much to look at but they functioned just fine for us when DS was tiny and I didn't have to spend a fortune on them. I second a good cover, that will help you bunches.

I got 'em here:
http://www.barefootbaby.com/home.asp

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I wouldnt spend a ton on expensive, hard to get fitteds for a newborn. They will be outgrown SO quickly! I agree with the PP that Kissaluvs are easy to get and not too expensive and the absorbancy problem isnt really an issue for newborns since they are changed so often.

What we did was use only contours for the first 5 months -- they are way cheeper than fitteds but much easier to use and less of a pain than CPF (no folding). And as long as you have covers with gussets you wont have leaks. We never had even one!

Once baby grows a bit (like after the first 2 months) then get the fitteds you really want because they will fit for much longer.

OR.....

Get some one sized fitteds which will last through PL. Muttiqin baby is having a sale on all the onesized dipes right now and has a lot in stock. They are SO cute and work great!

Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello there,
Congrats on having a new little one soon :) You'll have such fun! Many here wouldn't agree....but I have never owned more than 24 dipes at one time....and that is even with having 2 in dipes for 10 months during part of my "cloth diapering career." Now I think I have about 18 dipes. I like washing everyday so that no smells build up and so that I just know I always have a large stash of clean dipes. So, even if you don't hit the 36 mark, you might be okay. I just noticed that you said you don't want to wash everyday. You may stick to that or you might change your mind. I never thought I would wash everyday but I changed my mind...knowing there isn't a stinky pail of diapers in the laundry room does wonders for me. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I got by just fine during the newborn period with 24 kissaluvs and 6 covers, FWIW. Think about what you would spend each week if your babe were here now and wearing sposies...maybe $15? Can you put that aside each week for the next 8-10 weeks and then buy a bunch of fitteds? But if money is tight prefolds and wraps are definitely the way to go. BTW I think you will want to wash more than 2x per week because most of the newborn diapers are poopy and most people don't like for the poopy diapers to sit for more than a day or so. Are you limited in how frequently you can do laundry?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Someone here had a neat way to do a sidewall on prefolds. It is a great success againts blowouts. The small stage is so short, the cheapest option is prefolds. Then you can save money fro when htey are in mediums & large. Those are the 2 sizes used the longest.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Do babies in your families run big or small? That might help your prefold decision. If big babies are the norm I'd suck up and get the small prefolds for cost and easiness reasons as they won't be in smalls very long, then start watching for medium fitteds. If smaller are the norm I'd start grabbing some fitteds but probably get a few prefolds anyway.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I used prefolds and just layed them in a cover. Babies that age don't move around much. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on newborn or smalls. You might not get a lot of wear out of them. My ds started out with mediums at 7 weeks. He then went to larges at 5 months and used them for a year and now he's going back to mediums.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
I say get some prefolds for backup and spitup and invest in some inexpensive (bummis, rikki's etc) newborn covers that will actually fit a skinny legged newborn. I agree with the Kissaluv 0 recommendation too. They fit longer than most nb nappies and from the beginning too.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Oh, I agree with the Nanipoos! They are wonderful for newborns. I only got two, but I did get 2 smalls as well.
Kissaluvs size 0 are nice also. They are very stretchy....watch the outlet store for seconds. I got 12 for $89, in colors, and I can't tell why they are seconds.
I have a huge newborn/small stash (45 diapers), and it really is way more than I need. I have two in diapers, and the diaper pail is full each day, so I have to wash every day anyway. Toddler diapers are so BIG!!! :LOL

I acquired my stash over the last 2 or 3 months of my pregnancy. I probably made half of them myself, and purchased the rest. Watch for a sale, oh and of course the TP was awesome!

ETA-pre-folds are always a good addition to any stash....and great for spit-up, so they are always useful. If you are bored at the end of your pregnancy, dyeing them can be a great way to pass time and to make them cute. I have some newborn and small Pro-wraps that are also very handy to have, and inexpensive as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well as much as I LOVE the idea of supporting small Wham companies I need my CD NOW and I like my fitted so the bulk of my stash are easily avaiable and affordable fitted (tiny tots and ME sandys) now that I have a basic stash I can have a little fun as I get a bit of money and I can wait.

Deanna

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm certainly not a pro, but I did just fine with pfs and fuzzibunz... proraps and bummis covers. the BF poo is unrelenting, and i just didn't need anything more complicated than that.

it wouldn't hurt to "pad your stash" with some prefolds... jmho.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had 20 Kissaluvs 0 and padded my stash with a dozen PFs that I thought I would never use. I actually loved my PFs at that stage. I really didn't need that many diapers either. I'd recommend 24 and washing every other day. For covers we had 2 prowraps, 2 bummis and 2 bumkins. I think next time I would do the same thing.

I then branched out when we moved into smalls and tried lots of things until I found what I liked best.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbycheeks
I used Snuggleups.. they are a flannel fitted. .no frills or anything but they have elastic legs and you can get them with velcro as well. Like I said, not much to look at but they functioned just fine for us when DS was tiny and I didn't have to spend a fortune on them.
I thought my tiny newborn looked adorable in the simplistic, unbleached snuggleups

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.